Fund Started To Appeal Sentence For Lucy Letby

15 minutes ago, Anna B said:

That's rather my point. The 12 people who sat there for months and listened to every single detail couldn't make up their minds.  Some thought she'd done it, but nearly half thought she hadn't. It was only by a very small majority that she was convicted. If it had been the death penalty as in America, this would have gone automatically to appeal. 

That's all I'm saying. It needs looking at again. 

There were 11 jurors at the end of the trial.

They were directed to reach a verdict of either 11-0 or 10-1 “nothing else will do”.

You could always check this stuff yourself, before typing your vapid, inaccurate hogwash.

It doesn’t need looking at again. Letby is in the correct place. The jurors, families and journalists who covered the trial all deserve looking after. She doesn’t.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 18/08/2023 at 14:16, Anna B said:

Not having followed the trial, or read the court transcripts, it's hard to know what actually went on at the trial, but my gut feeling is that she has been made something of a scapegoat in this case, maybe for failings in the department.  I feel there's been too many doubts in this case for a safe conviction, but as I say, only those involved know the full facts.

Maybe I just find it hard to believe that people are capable of such evil. ...

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

That's rather my point. The 12 people who sat there for months and listened to every single detail couldn't make up their minds.  Some thought she'd done it, but nearly half thought she hadn't. It was only by a very small majority that she was convicted. If it had been the death penalty as in America, this would have gone automatically to appeal. 

Going on your post in the other thread, quoted above, you didn't follow the trial and you're going on your 'gut instinct'  based on apparently not much other than not believing that people are capable of such evil'.

Of course people are capable of such evil.  There are people locked away in prisons and institutions who've murdered, raped, tortured and molested babies, children and adults.  If Letby looked more like a figure you typically find on the cover of true crime books about serial killers, I suspect those who are looking for doubts about the conviction would be a tad less sympathetic.

Where is all this coming from anyway?  Is this a thing that's taken off on certain Twitter echo chambers?  I've never seen such an immediate outpouring of sympathy and doubt about a conviction for murdering babies.

1 minute ago, Hecate said:

Going on your post in the other thread, quoted above, you didn't follow the trial and you're going on your 'gut instinct'  based on apparently not much other than not believing that people are capable of such evil'.

Of course people are capable of such evil.  There are people locked away in prisons and institutions who've murdered, raped, tortured and molested babies, children and adults.  If Letby looked more like a figure you typically find on the cover of true crime books about serial killers, I suspect those who are looking for doubts about the conviction would be a tad less sympathetic.

Where is all this coming from anyway?  Is this a thing that's taken off on certain Twitter echo chambers?  I've never seen such an immediate outpouring of sympathy and doubt about a conviction for murdering babies.

I don't get it either.

We all know miscarriages of justice happen, like the man freed recently for a conviction of rape many years ago that he was innocent of.

Lucy Letby has not suffered a miscarriage of justice. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

I don't get it either.

We all know miscarriages of justice happen, like the man freed recently for a conviction of rape many years ago that he was innocent of.

Lucy Letby has not suffered a miscarriage of justice. 

Exactly so.  And you don't generally see any public discussion about those cases until there's at least an appeal underway or discussed, or some other intervention, on the basis of new evidence and so on.  This seems to have arrived almost immediately and fully formed on the back of the 'but she doesn't look like a baby murderer!' comments.  It's all very strange.

39 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Do you think these pieces of evidence found by police in Letby's home need looking at again?

The evidence seen during Lucy Letby's murder trial, from handwritten notes to cards for parents | UK News | Sky News

34 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

It’s a properly weird mix of made up stuff and right wing sock puppets all agreeing with themselves.

If it was a pub, I’d be in a different one.

Would you prefer an echo chamber?

Let me guess, The brothers arms in Heeley?