Leeds V Sheffield Wednesday Fc

bassett one

1 hour ago, St Petre said:

Didn't actually 'go wrong' until  around the 1969/70 season . In fact during the Harry Catterick/Vic Buckingham era, the Owls didn't finish below sixth (yes 6th) in the old first division. how many clubs would wish for that now?

Harry Catterick won more first division points in the 60s than any other manager. A pity most of them were for Everton.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Harry Catterick won more first division points in the 60s than any other manager. A pity most of them were for Everton.

Fact I didn't know Jim (thank you). My dad saw Harry playing for Everton (first team and reserves) at Hillsborough when he was understudy to Tommy Lawton  (out injured) and said Harry was as good a forward as to be  a starter in most first division teams then. I don't begrudge Harry for anything while at Goodison,-even 1966 final- but he, as a wise move for both of them  ,took Tony Kay away from us in late 1962.

Edited by St Petre
add

yes great days,great players and the 90s were okay,would of loved to have seen Derek Dooley my dad said he saw some great goals inc one were he was passed the ball about the half way line,went charging through like a tank and scored with him the fullback the goalie and the ball all in the net,with 2 of the opposition on the floor as well,not allowed now , but lets hope hes looking down watching on us this sat and we get something ,i like the manager and hope he succeeds ,but its not easy when other teams spend millions.

41 minutes ago, St Petre said:

Fact I didn't know Jim (thank you). My dad saw Harry playing for Everton (first team and reserves) at Hillsborough when he was understudy to Tommy Lawton  (out injured) and said Harry was as good a forward as to be  a starter in most first division teams then. I don't begrudge Harry for anything while at Goodison,-even 1966 final- but he, as a wise move for both of them  ,took Tony Kay away from us in late 1962.

He had to leave Wednesday to win the league as did Howard Wilkinson. Let’s hope we can hang on to Xisco.

25 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

He had to leave Wednesday to win the league as did Howard Wilkinson. Let’s hope we can hang on to Xisco.

At the Owl's current rate Jim, it will be some achievement to finish fourth from the bottom, at least they don't have to face Mansfield Town (or Stockport)  any time soon.

9 hours ago, St Petre said:

At the Owl's current rate Jim, it will be some achievement to finish fourth from the bottom, at least they don't have to face Mansfield Town (or Stockport)  any time soon.

Its surprising that so many lower league clubs lick the big time Charlies in that cup , not that the Owls are any longer one of the Charlies .