My Rude Illiterate Tongue.

14 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Children will have better prospects in life if they can speak well. Some people really ham up the Sheffield "accent" and it's cringeworthy. Where I live in the South West, we don't use it much, those that do have a slight accent still speak clearly. I notice Lucy Spraggan from Stannington in the North West has a somewhat neutral accent. Most people round there have a thick accent.

I agree up to a point, but it shouldn't be like that. As long as a person can communicate clearly / well it shouldn't matter what the accent is. We shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

Having said that, I don't find the Sheffield accent particularly attractive, but like Scottish and Geordie accents.

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I agree up to a point, but it shouldn't be like that. As long as a person can communicate clearly / well it shouldn't matter what the accent is. We shouldn't judge a book by it's cover.

Having said that, I don't find the Sheffield accent particularly attractive, but like Scottish and Geordie accents.

It's the Nottingham accent on a man that I love.

17 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I study dialects, love to guess where a person comes from , not only in the UK but World wide ,

Now it seems as though certain area's  of our Country are teaching kids to  speak properly . Or to use the Kings language as per Charles .

Sheffield dialect to me is majic , It gladdens my heart to hear proper Sheffielders in every day conversation , like wise the Geordies and Cornwellians  make my ears stand up ..

So whats with these plum in gobbers who it seems look down on the common speakers in our land  as not being intelligent or even course in speach .

Some  Immigrants to our lands still speak in a dialect that is part of their mother Country , this is fine as it adds to the sounds of our Streets and media ,      however a thing that I  find strange is when the kids and grand kids of those same immigrants still talk as though they were born in their parents original Country when in fact they have been born , bred and educated in this Country , 

That is strange isn't it .

I speak 3 languages. Canadian, Spanish (enough to get by) and perfect Sheffield (circa 1960).

Thing is my Sheffield dialect is time stamped 1960, the day I left, and not many speak that way anymore, especially the ones in my family who live in the South.

They all cringe when I start to talk like that.  :)

Edited by trastrick

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

It's the Nottingham accent on a man that I love.

Ah, that's sweet Irene.

I will say as a retired teacher that  correct pronunciation  helps kids with reading, writing and spelling,

But language evolves and changes all the time.

Edited by Anna B

I agree with Anna when she says language evolves over time.  I’ve noticed  how the Geordie accent has changed over the years, it’s become much softer but still has a lot of unique sounds, its much more understandable today.

Occasionally you will hear someone talking in Geordie slang up here in Newcastle and surrounding area, it sounds awful, and I can understand why a lot of people can’t understand what they are talking about.