My Rude Illiterate Tongue.

1 hour ago, crookesey said:

What amused me about the 1960’s is that the ‘posh’ birds preferred the ‘common’ accented guys, as against the ‘working class’ birds who preferred the ‘posh’ guys.

True then, true now.

Lots of gardeners, milkmen and window cleaners (and apprentice electricians on fiddle jobs) got lucky in the old days.

Today it's the gym trainer, pool guy, bartender, tennis coach.

They like to marry money, but .........

Edited by trastrick

17 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Trying my hardest to think of it but can't .

It's a delicate accent but noticible when you've got your ear in . Vicky McClure from Line of Duty is a good example. Also, Mark Selby the snookerist is from Leicester but his accent is close. 

On 29/08/2023 at 12:21, crookesey said:

I am who and what I am, I have a Sheffield accent and am neither proud nor ashamed of it. I’m no fan of snobbery, including the inverted variety, it’s where you finish, not where you start that counts.

It intrigues me when anyone says they are proud of something,  I always thought you had to have achieved something to be proud,  e.g.  I'm proud of being born in Derbyshire - I didn't achieve it,  it just  happened.

Edited by cressida

10 hours ago, cressida said:

It intrigues me when anyone says they are proud of something,  I always thought you had to have achieved something to be proud,  e.g.  I'm proud of being born in Derbyshire - I didn't achieve it,  it just  happened.

I guess that mine is a mix of Derbyshire and Sheffield (against Yorkshire), I am Sheffield born  but lived 20 years in an area just within Derbyshire, that was known as S12, but necessitated me being educated in Derbyshire. I moved into greater Sheffield for 5 years but succumbed to a Derbyshire/Sheffield border property situated in Sheffield in 1977, where we still live. My morning dog walks are in Derbyshire where the natives tell me that I have a Sheffield accent, so what the heck? :huh:

• Like 1