Banana sandwiches - is this normal or was my mum having a laugh?

What is nicer, is cheese and crisp (preferably cheese and onion walkers) sandwiches!! With the bread squeezed together so that all the crisps are nicely crushed!!! Hmmmm!

i used to do that too :D jus fancyin one of them now! :rolleyes:. my step brother use to love cheese and jam sandwiches and i always had a thing for cheese and chocolate spread which is even better in toasties - i still do it now from time to time :thumbsup:

Whilst feeding my baby son slices of banana today, a long forgotten memory came up.

Banana sandwiches.

My mum used to give me them when I was little.

I'll be damned if I've ever seen anyone else eating them - was my mum having a laugh :suspect::hihi:

Did you ever have banana sandwiches, or any other 'odd' sandwich?

What's odd about it :P

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, banana sandwich, not had one in ages. Must go buy bananas.

Crisp butties too....salt and vinegar is best.

My nanna used to leave a plate of Banana butties for grandad on a Saturday afternoon, so he could have his tea while she went out shopping. He also used to eat tinned peaches and apricots with big shives of bread.

But I've never liked them! I can't stand anything sweet with bread, not 'nanas, no jam, not marmalade or anything. Ugh. Though if someone made me a bread and butter pudding with 'nanas in I reckon that would be lovely.

However, bananas and custard is lush. :love:

However, bananas and custard is lush. :love:

That's awesome too :D I'm actually a little allergic to bananas but they're so nice I'm not going to let a little itchy throat worry me :)

Hey if they are good enough for the king...then they are good enough for us!

Has anyone actually got the recipe to the Elvis presley sandwich? Pretty sure it consists of bacon, peanut butter, butter and jam! He used to eat 30 a day :o

Saw something about that on a tv show ages ago and one of his old cooks made one iirc it consisted of two slices of thickly buttered bread one generously spread with peanut butter the other with jam, a sliced banana was added as filling between them and then the whole thing was shallow fried in lots more butter, don't remember there being any bacon in it.

Saw something about that on a tv show ages ago and one of his old cooks made one iirc it consisted of two slices of thickly buttered bread one generously spread with peanut butter the other with jam, a sliced banana was added as filling between them and then the whole thing was shallow fried in lots more butter, don't remember there being any bacon in it.

Nigella Lawson did it on her "trash cooking" show.

Nigella Lawson did it on her "trash cooking" show.

Did she use bacon in hers? I eat something similar (jam, peanut butter & apple/banana sandwiches on wholemeal bread with no butter or margarine) when I’m cycle touring and they are pretty nice as well as being quite a good energy dense, robust sandwich, I just can’t see how bacon would work with the rest of the flavours though.

Archived