Mohamed Al Fayed: Former Harrods Owner Dies At 94

Mohamed Al Fayed, the former Harrods boss whose son Dodi was killed in a car crash alongside Diana, Princess of Wales, has died aged 94.

Born in Egypt, he built a business empire in the Middle East before moving to the UK in the 1970s.

However, he never realised his ambition to gain a passport for his adopted country.

He spent his later years questioning the circumstances surrounding the deaths of Dodi and Diana.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66690623.amp

I didn't realise he was that old.

32 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Mohamed Al Fayed, the former Harrods boss whose son Dodi was killed in a car crash alongside Diana, Princess of Wales, has died aged 94.

Born in Egypt, he built a business empire in the Middle East before moving to the UK in the 1970s.

However, he never realised his ambition to gain a passport for his adopted country.

He spent his later years questioning the circumstances surrounding the deaths of Dodi and Diana.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-66690623.amp

I didn't realise he was that old.

I have difficulty working out how I got to my age. :huh:

27 minutes ago, Axe said:

He managed to acquire Harrods by dubious methods. It was quite correct he never obtained a British passport.  

Oh that's right, Al-Fayed had embarrassed Major's government by disclosing that he had made gifts and payments to Neil Hamilton MP in return for Hamilton asking parliamentary questions for him.

John Major was so shocked, he set up the Nolan Commission into Standards in Public Life.

That's why Al Fayed never got his British Passport!

Such innocent times.

Nowadays, post Boris Johnson, such behaviour wouldn't cause anyone to bat an eyelid.

Edited by Mister M

17 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Oh that's right, Al-Fayed had embarrassed Major's government by disclosing that he had made gifts and payments to Neil Hamilton MP in return for Hamilton asking parliamentary questions for him.

John Major was so shocked, he set up the Nolan Commission into Standards in Public Life.

That's why Al Fayed never got his British Passport!

Such innocent times.

Nowadays, post Boris Johnson, such behaviour wouldn't cause anyone to bat an eyelid.

A poor contribution.  Neil Hamilton never actually asked any questions in parliament on behalf of the crooked Egyptian which is why he mounted a vendetta campaign against him.  The crooked Egyptian used the services of Max Clifford to attempt to smear Neil Hamilton and his wife.  The Hamiltons  are  guilty  of being greedy and enjoying the hospitality  at he Rix in Paris but not guilty of any wrongdong. 

1 hour ago, Axe said:

A poor contribution.  Neil Hamilton never actually asked any questions in parliament on behalf of the crooked Egyptian which is why he mounted a vendetta campaign against him.  The crooked Egyptian used the services of Max Clifford to attempt to smear Neil Hamilton and his wife.  The Hamiltons  are  guilty  of being greedy and enjoying the hospitality  at he Rix in Paris but not guilty of any wrongdong. 

No, a poor contribution from you.  

The libel case Hamilton vs Al Fayed upheld the then Parliamentary Standards Commissioner's findings that:

"Much of his [Mr Hamilton's] submission is taken up with a minute analysis of alleged inconsistencies or inaccuracies in the case against him. These are, for the most part, of a relatively trivial nature. Neither individually nor collectively do they undermine the main thrust of the evidence, which points compellingly to the conclusion that Mr Hamilton accepted cash payments from Mr Fayed in return for lobbying services."

Jury backs watchdog's findings | Hamilton v Al-Fayed case | The Guardian

Hamilton was subsequently declared bankrupt.

Oh, and it's the Ritz, not the 'Rix' :hihi:

Edited by Mister M
  • Like 1

I have always wondered about the death of Dodi and Di. Was it a planned killing or a tragic accident? Why did the young man alleged to be involved have his car repainted? Was it the press hounding, was the driver drunk? 

I have heard some eye opening claims about The Royal Family, from claims that QE2 and her husband kidnapped children in Canada to them being connected to a paedophile ring. I recall QE2 pushing the jibby jabby...I thought they didn't get involved in political issues, strange she made an exception for that.