Cock Crowing Stone - Anyone got any info?

PopT

Has anybody any information on 'The **** Crowing Stone'.

It stands on the edge of an outcrop of rock on the moorland before you get to the top of Moscar?

I'd love to find out more about the carving, the age of it and its original purpose.

Hi PopT

First the marker stone in Hillsborough Park and then the **** crowing stone - is this all from memory or a book?

I had a walk around the park recently but didn't notice anything but if it's only 6" deep it could well be hidden.

No Titty these stones are not out of books.

The **** Crowing stone can be clearly seen from the road opposite the ol Hollow Meadows Institute.

It must be about 15 feet tall with a face carved on the side near the top.

The Marker stone was there for years and it may have been moved that is why I asked if it was still there and why.

Even so, it was put there for some purpose in the middle of the grass area which was always cut regularly.

I would think if it had no purpose it would have been moved by the grasscutting staff but times move on and someone may well have moved it in recent times.

No offence taken, a little taken aback at first but we all catch the wrong keys from time to time so I knew it was accidental.

By the way - when I asked if the stones were from memory or a book - I wasn't been funny, I just wondered if you'd been reading up on a few things.

• 2 years later...

It stands on the edge of an outcrop of rock on the moorland before you get to the top of Moscar?

I'd love to find out more about the carving, the age of it and its original purpose.

i typed **** crowing stones into google and it came up with some more:thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

POpT,

The Cocking Stone on Brown Edge(Moscar)? is also known as Stump John.

I'll find out more and come back later.

• 4 months later...

The walkers group may be passing this or close to it on Sunday next.

I'll try to get a photograph taken

Archived