Do you remember the stall in the Sheaf Market ...

*chortles:_

it's totally and utterly demolished, chuck!...

It's gone completely?! Even the flea market area and the shops that used to be under the market? What a shame :( .

• 2 weeks later...
Gee the broken biscuit stall brought back memories. Mum used to buy them and Dad would say "I'm not eating them they're sweepings up!" We kids used to scoff em though. I don't know if it was called the Sheaf Market - the one I mean was the big Black stone building- Mum used to buy Dad's pieces of leather from there too because Dad 'cobbled shoes' to make a few extra bob.

Would the black stone building be the Norfolk Market Hall, which is where Wilkinsons now stands? There was a cigarette and tobacco shop on the corner and I was always enthralled by the spiral staircase you could see through the window.

• 3 weeks later...

I can refer back to the market, when I was a kid my grandfather used to work there. when all the stalls were closing the traders used to load all their wares into massive boxes, when the were full my grandfather and the other market staff used to push them down the short cobbled hill past the pet shop

(called Maces I think) into where they used to be stored over night.

At the top of the hill you could get weighed on the sit on weighing scales for a penny.

Archived