Australian Referendum

7 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Poverty is one aspect of offending yes, so is being pushed to the fringes of society, being made outcasts, given less prospects and chances to be something.

As well as the legal system unfairly penalising due to race, are white Australians more likely given bail compared to indigenous people for the same crimes? Could that be why more are in prison compared to white Australians.

We also don't know the specific individual crimes committed, the severity, or the length of sentence. I would hazard a guess that there would be more petty crimes committed, and thus greater turnover of prisoners, than those crimes of a more serious nature.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Poverty is one aspect of offending yes, so is being pushed to the fringes of society, being made outcasts, given less prospects and chances to be something.

As well as the legal system unfairly penalising due to race, are white Australians more likely given bail compared to indigenous people for the same crimes? Could that be why more are in prison compared to white Australians.

Exactly my thoughts too

5 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

We also don't know the specific individual crimes committed, the severity, or the length of sentence. I would hazard a guess that there would be more petty crimes committed, and thus greater turnover of prisoners, than those crimes of a more serious nature.

Quite correct and I agree with both your views.

I believe that all Australians should be ashamed that it has taken so long to get to this point.

The very fact that Bundy, Grey and daddio are spewing their usual hate propaganda,  inspires me to believe that this is the correct move and that the native people have waited far too long already.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

Exactly my thoughts too

I believe that all Australians should be ashamed that it has taken so long to get to this point.

The very fact that Bundy, Grey and daddio are spewing their usual hate propaganda,  inspires me to believe that this is the correct move and that the native people have waited far too long already.

Hate? From me? Where liar? 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Exactly my thoughts too

Hate propaganda!!

Get over yourself you silly sausage.

What's wrong, you getting all frothy because other folk have the audacity not to think like you?

Edited by Al Bundy

14 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Hate propaganda!!

Get over yourself you silly sausage.

What's wrong, you getting all frothy because other folk have the audacity not to think like you?

Not at all    -     I am mightily relieved that you lot don't think like me.   That really makes my day because,  if you did,   I would have to join a monastery  or something similar,   just to hide my shame.

11 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Not at all    -     I am mightily relieved that you lot don't think like me.   That really makes my day because,  if you did,   I would have to join a monastery  or something similar,   just to hide my shame.

Good lad.

👍

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

I quite like OG, he offers his opinion and certainly contributes to decent debate, however he just sometimes comes out with the lazy throwaway comments that he thinks are all fashionable at the time.

Lazy throwaway comments are the sum total of your contribution to this, and almost all, threads on this form! :loopy:

Without lazy throwaway comments, you'd have nothing to post! 🤣