The Big Gun.

cuttsie

22 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

Barman Glen Small must be suffering from double vision when he says there were twelve pubs on the Wicker in the 1980s.

It depends on if you just count the Wicker itself, or the continuations of the Wicker route and its offshoots.

On the Wicker itself there would have been 7 -:

The Station
The Viaduct
The Bull & Oak

The Brown Cow

The New White Lion

The Big Gun

The Lion

But then on Savile Street just after the arches there was the Hole in the Wall.

On Nursery Street just just round the corner there was the Hare and Hounds.

Then on Waingate just after the bridge there was the Lady's bridge and Bull and Mouth.

Just on the side streets was the Harlequin (old) and then the Manchester Hotel (present day Harlequin).

Then Harlequin now is the only pub I'd consider within the Wicker "area" - i.e. anything between the River Don and the railway arches, though most today would see it as the very far end stretches of Neepsend and Kelham.

Edited by TeatOwl95

10 minutes ago, TeatOwl95 said:

It depends on if you just count the Wicker itself, or the continuations of the Wicker route and its offshoots.

The Station
The Viaduct
The Bull & Oak

The Brown Cow

The New White Lion

The Big Gun

The Lion

Then on Waingate just after the bridge there was the Lady's bridge and Bull and Mouth.

Just on the side streets was the Harlequin (old) and then the Manchester Hotel (present day Harlequin).

Then Harlequin now is the only pub I'd consider within the Wicker "area" - i.e. anything between the River Don and the railway arches, though most today would see it as the very far end stretches of Neepsend and Kelham.

The Lion was closed long before the 1980s.

37 minutes ago, TeatOwl95 said:

The Station
The Viaduct
The Bull & Oak

The Brown Cow

The New White Lion

The Big Gun

The Lion

Some good old boozers mentioned there :thumbsup:  In the late 60s and early 70s  Sheffield had some of the best pub crawls in this Country,  we used the ones mentioned above on a friday night followed by a spoilt for choice great night club, and London road on Saturday night then pile into Tiffanys.  The Town centre took some beating aswell.  What the flip has happened, Sheffield IMO is garbage now, too exspensive, too many fake nondescript beggers and Stabbers knockin about.  Coppers really need get a Grip and bang these Tossers up, they are ruining a Great City.  :rant:

• Like 3

1 minute ago, cressida said:

Cuttsie is a man's man unlike some,  and I often choose egg and chips at lunchtimes.

I suppose he has never posted on here that victims of infant murder are getting rich off the back of their dead babies, so he has that going for him at least.