The Big Gun.

cuttsie

It’s still open if anyone fancies popping down. Stella drained. But keg Stones, John’s and Carling still flowing. Spirits probably too. Proper Sheffielders aplenty cuttsie, get thissen dahn. Obviously hardly any women or ethnic minorities or young people. But it is what it is, a working class Sheffield pub.

It could be a great pub for everyone. It’s a shame if it dies.

It reminds me of the dying pubs of Walkley and Langsett Rd 20 years ago. Unwashed and unloved. No nice beer and few customers. But wonderful history which you can’t buy once it’s gone. For example the Palm Tree in Walkley was a shocking hole at the end. But is now the fantastic Raven Inn with beautiful beer.

I’d love to see the Big Gun make a similar comeback.

Edited by Bilge

15 hours ago, Bilge said:

For example the Palm Tree in Walkley was a shocking hole at the end. But is now the fantastic Raven Inn with beautiful beer.

The Raven isn’t a patch on the palm tree - I was in the palm tree twice a week until the end. Been in Raven probably a dozen times - everything that makes a pub has gone.

the people, the sense of community, the history and character - all replaced.

The Raven, eh?  Last time we were in their it was also called the 'Palm Tree' & had a little , rotund landlord.   Can't remember his name but the name Tony does come to mind? 

We used to have an occasional jaunt up Walkley way on the odd Saturday night.  It was a nice little run around there with all the pubs being so close to each other.   Palm Tree, the 2 Freedoms (House & View), Rose House, The Florist & the other over the road from it (again name escapes me but a car once took the corner a bit too sharp, came straight through the bay window & ended up with most of it in the lounge). 

Happy days! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

The Raven, eh?  Last time we were in their it was also called the 'Palm Tree' & had a little , rotund landlord.   Can't remember his name but the name Tony does come to mind? 

We used to have an occasional jaunt up Walkley way on the odd Saturday night.  It was a nice little run around there with all the pubs being so close to each other.   Palm Tree, the 2 Freedoms (House & View), Rose House, The Florist & the other over the road from it (again name escapes me but a car once took the corner a bit too sharp, came straight through the bay window & ended up with most of it in the lounge). 

Happy days! 

The landlord would have been little Dave?

the pub opposite the florist was the crown. Now flats unfortunately.