Whats All The Fuss About In Eckington?

'Show people' (ie people involved in the fairground business) are not travellers,  and would be most upset to be called or classed as such. They are hardworking and resourceful people whose businesses moves about the country during the summer season but needs winter quarters where they can settle during the quiet winter months. 

We have a very nice well, maintained area here in Chapeltown where they stay sometimes. 

I used to teach the children who enrolled in school when they were in camp. They were delightful; very polite and well behaved and a credit to their parents. They were also bright (brilliant at mental arithmetic and geography!) and funny, with more life experience than most children their age. They didn't always have an easy time of it with the other kids, so tended to stick together and look after each other -  they were tough and didn't take any nonsense. But when they'd integrated into the class they were popular and had a lot to offer.  

• Like 2

On 12/09/2023 at 02:01, Anna B said:

'Show people' (ie people involved in the fairground business) are not travellers,  and would be most upset to be called or classed as such. They are hardworking and resourceful people whose businesses moves about the country during the summer season but needs winter quarters where they can settle during the quiet winter months. 

We have a very nice well, maintained area here in Chapeltown where they stay sometimes. 

I used to teach the children who enrolled in school when they were in camp. They were delightful; very polite and well behaved and a credit to their parents. They were also bright (brilliant at mental arithmetic and geography!) and funny, with more life experience than most children their age. They didn't always have an easy time of it with the other kids, so tended to stick together and look after each other -  they were tough and didn't take any nonsense. But when they'd integrated into the class they were popular and had a lot to offer.  

Yes, the site in Chapeltown is very quiet and is not noticeable at all. The only time I notice it when I hear the dogs barking when I walk in the park. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bassett one said:

please note funfair  operators invest thousands of pounds in there rides some costing up to a half million pounds,so they are decent folk ,in fact one famous fun fair man was mayor of doncaster,

Oh dear! :(

That'll not go down too well on here, Mr Bassett!

Fancy suggesting that anyone who has so much money can also be "decent folk"...

... now go wash your mouth out! :hihi:

• Haha 1

yeah tubys fair visits graves park each year and its unusual he owns all the rides ect ,or at least his family does i should say,but they all need a base to live in winter,paint rides ect,ect , but its a costly business,but big money is earned and its long days,i know several funfair operators and they may have a good life style ,but they work hard,