Rip Mike Yarwood

rudds1

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Thought he’d gone years ago . One of the very best . 

My bold. 

Same here.  That's the nice bit over.   RIP. 

Personally, thought he was rubbish as an impersonator, apart from his Harold Wilson & Patrick Moore & they were more caricatures rather than impersonations but back in the 1970's he was what passed for top Saturday night entertainment. 

"The Mike Yarwood Show in 1977 holds the record for the largest single Christmas Day audience of 21.4m viewers, according to the Royal Variety Charity." 

Of course, the above was back in the day when the UK only had 3 tv channels & largely before we all had remote controls, so if you'd put BBC1 on to watch the film after the Queen at 3pm, you were so full of Xmas dinner & booze, you were either asleep when his tv show came on or too full to get up & change channels.  

It used to make me laugh when he'd do a song in character right at the end of his show & then do the last verse in his own voice & say"And this is me", & I'd always say, "Just has it has been for the previous 59 minutes!" 

Edited by Baron99

3 hours ago, Baron99 said:

My bold. 

Same here.  That's the nice bit over.   RIP. 

Personally, thought he was rubbish as an impersonator, apart from his Harold Wilson & Patrick Moore & they were more caricatures rather than impersonations but back in the 1970's he was what passed for top Saturday night entertainment. 

"The Mike Yarwood Show in 1977 holds the record for the largest single Christmas Day audience of 21.4m viewers, according to the Royal Variety Charity." 

Of course, the above was back in the day when the UK only had 3 tv channels & largely before we all had remote controls, so if you'd put BBC1 on to watch the film after the Queen at 3pm, you were so full of Xmas dinner & booze, you were either asleep when his tv show came on or too full to get up & change channels.  

It used to make me laugh when he'd do a song in character right at the end of his show & then do the last verse in his own voice & say"And this is me", & I'd always say, "Just has it has been for the previous 59 minutes!" 

Charming!