Heart Of The City Redevelopment

Not sure if this is 'Heart of the City', wherever that is these days but this is going to be a major landmark. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-67872617

Where is the 'Heart' of the city centre these days?  Is it The Moor area, given that demolition is taking place at the bottom of Pinstone St / Furnival Gate to replace those buildings with something more modern? 

Edited by Baron99

25 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Now that does look ugly.

If that's how it looks when it's built, I think it's quite an attractive building & better than the norm for the Sheffield skyline. 

Having said that, I remember that when the Conran Tower / Citylofts was first proposed by the builder & the plans agreed by SCC the front of the the entire building was going to be covered in copper that (paraphrasing here), "Would enhance & reflect the morning sunlight & over the years the copper would weather at different rates & produce a multitude of colours as it aged, thereby providing an iconic building that referenced Sheffield's metalwork industry."

What happend?  The developer part built the thing & then said they'd leave it unfinished unless SCC agreed to cheaper materials being used.  Forget copper, basically brown plastic is the new garlic bread. 

SCC,  collective trousers down & spanked again by a property developer. 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Baron99 said:

If that's how it looks when it's built, I think it's quite an attractive building & better than the norm for the Sheffield skyline. 

Having said that, I remember that when the Conran Tower / Citylofts was first proposed by the builder & the plans agreed by SCC the front of the the entire building was going to be covered in copper that (paraphrasing here), "Would enhance & reflect the morning sunlight & over the years the copper would weather at different rates & produce a multitude of colours as it aged, thereby providing an iconic building that referenced Sheffield's metalwork industry."

What happend?  The developer part built the thing & then said they'd leave it unfinished unless SCC agreed to cheaper materials being used.  Forget copper, basically brown plastic is the new garlic bread. 

People have short memories. Well done .

8 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

It looks terrible in the picture but up close and in person, it looks quite nice. It's much nicer than the ghastly cladding being erected on the former Embrace bar on Barker's Pool. 

It hasn’t been built yet lass .

• Like 1

On 03/01/2024 at 16:04, Baron99 said:

I thought City Lofts went bust but SCC had insisted on the project being underwritten so that it would get finished in that eventuality. Which it did, minus the copper - it's a favourite trick of property developers, so I was pleased when Greenwich Council refused to play ball

The system generally seems rigged in favour of developers, so it's good to see someone taking a stand.