Heart Of The City Redevelopment

The proposed Kings Tower is a bit of a risk isnt it?  The regeneration of Castlegate and surrounding area is hardly "ongoing" yet.  Unless the developers have some insider knowledge of plans and timescales it has shades of being a bit of a white elephant to me.  Mind you, would be a hell of a view from the top!

It's also student accommodation, suprise surprise. I don't know if there is a way for councils to refuse planning permission for shared student accommodation unless it can be easily converted to general needs housing once the student housing bubble bursts, as it will - I hope there is.

Its a lot easier to reconfigure floors in tower blocks if they need to so if the need to student accom. is lowered several floors could be taken back to open plan and changed use to offices or even larger apartments "fairly" easily.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Andy_terrier said:

The proposed Kings Tower is a bit of a risk isnt it?

Yes - I'm no expert on property development but I know a few people who are, and they all say the return on investment for this tower is probably no where near what it needs to be for this to see the light of day any time soon.

There is a ~90m tower just breaking ground down on Tenter Street/Hollis Croft but otherwise, most residential projects in Sheffield over about 20 flrs just aren't making financial sense at the moment, planning approval or no planning approval.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Delbow said:

It's also student accommodation, suprise surprise. I don't know if there is a way for councils to refuse planning permission for shared student accommodation unless it can be easily converted to general needs housing once the student housing bubble bursts, as it will - I hope there is.

It should have been refused permission anyway. The city centre is becoming far too residential and there are already an array of empty flats around. The sewage systems won't be able to cope with the increased pressure. 

11 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

It should have been refused permission anyway. The city centre is becoming far too residential and there are already an array of empty flats around. The sewage systems won't be able to cope with the increased pressure. 

Maybe we could replace all the residential units with cash-only shops for the under-30s

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Council planners can't just reject things they don't like. There are specific narrow areas, which are weighted towards developers.

How do you know that the sewerage system won't be able to cope? Or this just random speculation dressed up as confident fact?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

Council planners can't just reject things they don't like. There are specific narrow areas, which are weighted towards developers.

How do you know that the sewerage system won't be able to cope? Or this just random speculation dressed up as confident fact?

They can reject things that greatly affect the character of an area. Knocking retail units down and replacing them with flats would greatly affect the character and purpose of the area. One or two tower blocks - fine but there are already around 5 in the Rockingham Street area and foundations laid for more to be built. 

The sewage system was designed for retail shops and the occasional hotel, not clusts of tower blocks, each with over 300 apartments. 

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

The 'character' of Waingate and Haymarket lol

Well yes. The character currently is retail, leisure outlets such as the amusement arcade, eateries and the Dixon Lane markets. If you knock it all down and replace it with flats it will end up a carbon copy of Edward Street and surrounding streets.

• Haha 1