Heart Of The City Redevelopment

46 minutes ago, dave_the_m said:

I'm sure all the people who have planned hi-rise buildings across the world over the last century are now slapping their foreheads and exclaiming "if only we'd thought of that!"

There are lots of slapdash contractors that only care about making a buck. The University Of Sheffield building on Western Bank/Witham Road, which had to be knocked down and rebuilt because of shoddy planning.

Alas, the current new build flats in town have a number of empty apartments as it is..what we definitely need is more of them. 🙃

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

because of shoddy planning.

not 'shoddy planning' - it was an embarrassing mistake, spotted and made good by the same people who made it.

surely this is exactly how we *want* construction companies to behave?

10 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

Alas, the current new build flats in town have a number of empty apartments as it is..what we definitely need is more of them.

yes, if we want a city centre to have shops /etc, so that we can use them once every few months., we need people living near them who use them every day.

(the idea that the city centre can survive by everyone driving in from the suburbs to go shopping on a Saturday morning - doesn't work on many levels)

Edited by ads36

23 minutes ago, ads36 said:

the idea that the city centre can survive by everyone driving in from the suburbs to go shopping on a Saturday morning - doesn't work on many levels)

It has survived that way until circa 2018 when all of these "luxury" apartments started springing up. I visit the city centre several times a week, as I expect most people do. And also many businesses and organisations are headquartered in the city centre, such as PlusNet, Utilita, Leonard Cheshire, BBC Radio Sheffield and Sheffield City Council. 

46 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

It has survived that way until circa 2018 when all of these "luxury" apartments started springing up. I visit the city centre several times a week, as I expect most people do. And also many businesses and organisations are headquartered in the city centre, such as PlusNet, Utilita, Leonard Cheshire, BBC Radio Sheffield and Sheffield City Council. 

Plusnet -= Sheffield but not really the city centre and not exactly a place you would visit if you are in the centre

Utilita - Headquartered in Eastleigh https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/04849181 has a tiny place next to Cathedral

Leonard Cheshire?? (nope, me neither) - based in London https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/04849181 has offices in Wales and Belfast but does have a care home in Totley, that well known city centre venue.

BBC Radio Sheffield and SCC should be in the city centre should they not ?

Edited by sheffbag
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Posts from this account are so perplexing. It's like someone from Krakow is pretending to live in Sheffield based on Google maps and cached askjeeves searches from 2005.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

19 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Nope  !

19 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Plusnet -= Sheffield but not really the city centre and not exactly a place you would visit if you are in the centre

Utilita - Headquartered in Eastleigh https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/04849181 has a tiny place next to Cathedral

Leonard Cheshire (nope, me neither) - based in London https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/04849181 has offices in Wales and Belfast but does have a care home in Totley, that well known city centre venue.

BBC Radio Sheffield and SCC should be in the city centre should they not ?

And there is no public access to Plusnets offices.

With the state of Sheffield Parkway every week day morning these morons must set off from there luxury pad to the motorway and head into the city at 80mph as it takes minutes for the whole dual carriage way to come to a stop at 0800 near Mosborough Parkway and Prince of Wales Road. Need 50mph speed cameras on the Parkway at all times.

Why do thousands of people still drive at peak times, its like banging your head against a wall and expecting something different to happen.

3 minutes ago, Zinger549 said:

I bet Irene has  had a wander around.

She would have major difficulties getting past security - I've been there, by invitation, and it is very tightly controlled.

Edited by RollingJ
  • Like 1