Rt Hon Suella Braverman Calls For Bulldog Ban After Shocking Attack

9 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Ha, a little bigger than a rat then! Chihuahuas, Yorkies, all nastier in my experience than the Rotweilers and staffies I encounter.

The difference being that if one of the toy breeds you mention gives you a nip ,that’s pretty much all it is - though undoubtedly unpleasant.

If a large and powerful dog bites you,much more damage will result . We love dogs and in almost 50 years of marriage have owned three English Bull Terriers ,two of which were delightful and one less so.We recognised and managed that,but at the end of the day it’s a dog- it thinks as a dog  and can react unpredictably - it’s down to the owner to take responsibility and ensure  the dog is under control. Stricter rules for breeders are probably the answer,but that is almost impossible to enforce.

In my view,the problem is almost always the owner ,though breeders need to be extremely careful when selling pups. Unfortunately,many ( not all) are more interested in the price they can charge than the welfare of the dog and the development of the breed.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Most issues with dogs stem from the owners, I encounter many big dogs that are as soft as they come, conversely the most aggressive dogs I encounter are the little rat-sized ones.

Then why is it the same breed, time and time again that cause serious and often fatal injuries?

• Like 1

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

Then why is it the same breed, time and time again that cause serious and often fatal injuries?

Because it's the same kind of chav owners who go for that type of dog to boost their street cred.

You don't see many young hooligans walking a Yorkie of a poodle.

2 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Because it's the same kind of chav owners who go for that type of dog to boost their street cred.

You don't see many young hooligans walking a Yorkie of a poodle.

It's true that the chances of an American bully XL being acquired by a responsible person who's done their research is very small. But we know that those people are motivated to get dogs like this, so the question seems to be do we let them or not? I say not. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Delbow said:

It's true that the chances of an American bully XL being acquired by a responsible person who's done their research is very small. But we know that those people are motivated to get dogs like this, so the question seems to be do we let them or not? I say not. 

Ofcourse, we shouldn't let them. The usual people will rush to say "it's not the breed, it's the owner, my bull dog is soft as a brush, blah blah blah" but ultimately, it's the same type of breed doing the most damage and it's the same type of breed bred for intimidation purposes. Inbreeding causes a lot of these bulldogs to be messed up and un-predictable, as well as aggressive. They were originally bred for bloodsports. 

3 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Everyday the nanny states grip gets tighter around our necks 

It's not the Nanny State to want to get these dangerous infernal things off our streets and parks. The nanny state is ULEZ, putting calories on every menu, all that nonsense. This is a matter of public safety.

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Delbow said:

And I say the same.

And so will Jack Grey if one of them gets hold of him.   A lot of people don't worry too much about guns until one of their kids gets shot.

Sometimes we need a nanny state whether we want it or not.

Probably a good subject for a thread.

Edited by Organgrinder