'Smart' Meters

I had a smart meter fitted in this flat when I moved in last year. Works ok. Also I don’t have a direct debit set up for payment. Around the 2nd of every month E On email me a bill for last months usage, and I pay that amount thereby avoiding the overpayment scenario.

Works for me.

Just now, YorkieontheTyne said:

I had a smart meter fitted in this flat when I moved in last year. Works ok. Also I don’t have a direct debit set up for payment. Around the 2nd of every month E On email me a bill for last months usage, and I pay that amount thereby avoiding the overpayment scenario.

Works for me.

You are on monthly Variable Direct Debit then, sounds perfect. Personally I prefer to spread it through the year but not everyone is the same.

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yup the sooner the UK has a fully smart grid the better. The naysayers can pay more until they crumble.

Just like in France:

People who refuse the installation of a Linky smart meter at their property in France after January 2023 will face paying an extra €50 per year, it has been confirmed, with up to 3.8 million people affected.

https://www.connexionfrance.com/article/French-news/Millions-who-refuse-Linky-meter-at-France-home-will-have-to-pay-extra

Seems reasonable. If you want an old meter or refuse to change it to a smart meter, you pay a higher standing charge for the "privilege".

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Yup the sooner the UK has a fully smart grid the better. The naysayers can pay more until they crumble.

Got that wrong.    should read   fully stupid,    and who was always making references to sheep ?

Has anyone heard about what was on the news last week  and debated in parliament about everyone having to pay thousands of pounds to have insulation and new boilers installed and fines and prison if not, and a smart meter because the onus is on you to prove you do not go over a certain limit?

6 minutes ago, spilldig said:

Has anyone heard about what was on the news last week  and debated in parliament about everyone having to pay thousands of pounds to have insulation and new boilers installed and fines and prison if not, and a smart meter because the onus is on you to prove you do not go over a certain limit?

Thats gone back to the Commons with over 400 amendments, plus nobody has the manpower to enforce anything within it, I wouldnt worry too much.

1 hour ago, YorkieontheTyne said:

Works for me.

As you do not pay by DD you are overpaying by around 7%.

If smart meters were just for reporting back to your energy supplier the energy used I'd be all for them, But that is not what they are being installed for, sure they do that job, and today that's about all they do do. What you arn't told about smart meters is the TOTAL CONTROL the energy companies now have over every home that is fitted with one, soon to come - when the demand is high so will be the price you pay (Yes they can alter the price by the minute should they want to) You haven't met your Carbon reduction to day - Sorry no more Electric until tomorrow, Why isn't this happening now? Simple - NOT enough people are having smart meters installed, but ths will change as the law now being passed in parliament allows for reasonable FORCE to be used to check on the carbon saving devices in your home. This will include your smart meter (Enforcable) your smart fridge, freezer, Kettle, and smart washing machine. all of these devices will report back on their usage. SEE - Smart meters by FORCE! -

• Like 1