'Smart' Meters

6 hours ago, top4718 said:

I can refuse by not wasting my time answering, if they haven't took the hint from the hundreds of texts and emails they've sent that have been ignored that's their problem.

Just tell them you don't know want to be contacted by them promoting stuff anymore....they have to stop

56 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Just tell them you don't know want to be contacted by them promoting stuff anymore....they have to stop

Some of the energy companies are quite tricksy with that.  I found it was easier to just block the offending numbers.  

6 hours ago, hackey lad said:

How do you know they are sales type calls?

It’s easy actually.  If you try calling the number back the message it just tells you they’ll try calling another time. If it was anything more important they would leave a voicemail or try contacting you by email and letter too.  

Edited by pfifes

• 4 months later...

Just wondering in the light of all the publicity and revelations re the corruption with the post office system , are we right in not putting our trust in smart meters . Can the readings  be altered by the providers and should we trust them if they say they  cannot  be manipulated?

Personally I have lost faith in any major organisation .

• 2 months later...
On 20/01/2024 at 09:51, Thorpist said:

Just wondering in the light of all the publicity and revelations re the corruption with the post office system , are we right in not putting our trust in smart meters . Can the readings  be altered by the providers and should we trust them if they say they  cannot  be manipulated?

Personally I have lost faith in any major organisation .

The BBC say there are more 'faulty' smart meters, but ....

"According to Smart Energy GB, a non-profit organisation focusing on the benefits of smart meters, there are now almost 35 million smart meters in Great Britain and the 'vast majority' are operating as intended. It said 88.6% were operating in smart mode at the end of 2023, up from 87.3% the previous year."

Not sure why people have an issue with smart meters.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/cz9zqn77ezno

• Like 1

4 hours ago, El Cid said:

"According to Smart Energy GB, a non-profit organisation focusing on the benefits of smart meters, there are now almost 35 million smart meters in Great Britain and the 'vast majority' are operating as intended. It said 88.6% were operating in smart mode at the end of 2023, up from 87.3% the previous year."

I recently had my ‘smart’ gas meter replaced.  It was installed in 2015.  It stopped being ‘smart’ a few years ago and we had to send readings instead.  Then it recently stopped working altogether as apparently the battery was dead.  I personally think that’s quite poor that a meter has such a relatively short lifespan before needing replacement.  It probably only worked properly as a smart meter for about 5 years or so.  And from what I’ve read online this isn’t uncommon and a lot of smart meters are now coming to the end of their lifespan. 

5 hours ago, El Cid said:

I wonder if they're counting out of range as "faulty". 

My meters are in the garage at the front of the house, the smart meter is in the kitchen at the back, and it often drops the signal due to the distance and the number of walls between them.

Sorry, can't edit - its also interesting to see the BBC link use the term "faulty" one minute and "not working properly" the next.

Mine could certainly fall into the 2nd category, but its not faulty by any means

2 hours ago, alchresearch said:

I wonder if they're counting out of range as "faulty". 

My meters are in the garage at the front of the house, the smart meter is in the kitchen at the back, and it often drops the signal due to the distance and the number of walls between them.

What you have in your kitchen is a in-home display, your smart meters are in your garage.

I thought you would have known that? 🙂