Uk To Host Us Nuclear Weapons.

......Airbase project could pave way for UK to host US nuclear weapons

The US air force has secured $50m (£39m) funding next year for a project that could pave the way for American nuclear weapons to return to British soil for the first time in more than 15 years.

In justifying the expenditure on a 144-bed dormitory at RAF Lakenheath in Suffolk, the USAF told Congress the building was intended to “house the increase in enlisted personnel as the result of the potential surety mission”, which is jargon typically used by the Pentagon to refer to handling of nuclear weapons, according to experts.

Construction of the dormitory is due to begin in June 2024 and last until February 2026, and is the latest in a series of signs that preparations are under way for the possible return of US nuclear weapons to UK territory.

Matt Korda, of the Federation of American Scientists (FAS), who first reported on the budget request, said: “The mention of the arrival of the potential surety mission caught my eye as that is a buzzword, a term commonly used in the defence department and the nuclear weapons complex to refer to the positive control of nuclear weapons in a safe and secure way.”

The FAS previously reported that in the 2023 defence budget, the UK was added to the list of countries where infrastructure investment is under way on “special weapons” storage sites in Europe, alongside Belgium, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands and Turkey.

Awesome. I'm sure this will be a popular move 🙄

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2023/aug/29/surety-mission-50m-airbase-project-could-pave-way-for-uk-to-host-us-nuclear-weapons

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

The US would host our nuclear weapons if we asked, I am sure. Dont see the harm.

we dont have any land based ones? all ours have been sub based since 1998, on the subject of the op, weve always had a "special relationship" with the US and always helped with their Nuclear missiles etc.

The last US missiles were only removed in 2008 according to CND so its not surprising really that they rear their ugly head again.

https://cnduk.org/resources/raf-lakenheath-us-nuclear-weapons-return-to-britain/

Also RAF Fylingdales has been used by the US for many years as a listening and early warning system

54 minutes ago, melthebell said:

we dont have any land based ones? all ours have been sub based since 1998, on the subject of the op, weve always had a "special relationship" with the US and always helped with their Nuclear missiles etc.

The last US missiles were only removed in 2008 according to CND so its not surprising really that they rear their ugly head again.

https://cnduk.org/resources/raf-lakenheath-us-nuclear-weapons-return-to-britain/

Also RAF Fylingdales has been used by the US for many years as a listening and early warning system

My bold. 

I'm a bit more tolerant to the likes of CND than most.  Their collective hearts are in the right place but they are misguided at best, believing that if we don't have nuclear weapons based in the UK, it makes us less of a threat & less of a target. 

Very much the opposite.  The hundreds of thousands of troops, thousands of tanks & medium / short range tactical missiles, including nuclear ones, pointing towards the E. Germany & Eastern Bloc borders is what kept the peace in Europe for decades. 

You can eventually talk your way out of acts of aggression but first you have to confront it, not back down & start from a weak position of appeasement. 

Edited by Baron99

I remember we were house sitting for some friends in Ely (just a few miles from Lakenheath) in August 1991 when the "old guard" attempted a coup in Russia against Gorbachev and Yeltsin,

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1991_Soviet_coup_d'état_attempt

For a couple of days there was a huge amount of activity, choppers circling the base, planes taking off and landing regularly. When the coup was defeated it seemed that the cold war was over for good.

Then along comes Putin, dusting off the Stalinist playbook...............................................