I'm Angela And I Grew Up On A Council Estate

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

The only thing that matters is  "Do they do a good job"

If yes,  then fine by me.

But that only comes down to opinion.

I wouldn't say Clinton or Trump are particularly nice but you will have varying opinions on whether they did a good job or not.

1 hour ago, ukdobby said:

An Mp doing a good job?where?theyre mostly on the fiddle,they were talking about dishonest mps on Jeremy Vine yesterday,Jackie Splith was on the panel.😂

I agree completely and have long believed that they should be held up to much more scrutiny.

I also believe we should stop accepting this "I made a genuine mistake" and letting them off.

Just look at Boris's lies.  Doesn't anyone know what a lie is ?

26 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

But that only comes down to opinion.

I wouldn't say Clinton or Trump are particularly nice but you will have varying opinions on whether they did a good job or not.

I agree with that too but the point is,   we dwell too much on what they say and too little on what they do.

How long do we allow them to make pledges which never get kept ?   "I will stop the boats"  ????????      May as well talk about where they grew up instead as none of it means anything.

Edited by Organgrinder

5 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I agree completely and have long believed that they should be held up to much more scrutiny.

I also believe we should stop accepting this "I made a genuine mistake" and letting them off.

I agree with that too but the point is,   we dwell too much on what they say and too little on what they do.

How long do we allow them to make pledges which never get kept ?   "I will stop the boats"  ????????      May as well talk about where they grew up instead as none of it means anything.

Indeed. 

5 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Edited by Al Bundy

7 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I agree. We know far too little about the people who 'rule' over us, starting with Local councillors and going all the way to the top of government, including top  Civil Servants who rule the roost apparently.

Looking at  background can tell you a lot about what has influenced people to think the way they do; what their life experiences might be and how they have been affected by them. Their friends and affiliations  may also go a long way to explaining who benefits from their decisions. If they have another job besides being an MP, I want to know what it is, and why. They need to be able to justify why they need it. Running the country on behalf of their constituents should be a full time occupation unless there's a very good reason why not. 

Above all they should be fully accountable, with consequences for their decisions hitting them too.  

1 hour ago, Anna B said:

I agree. We know far too little about the people who 'rule' over us, starting with Local councillors and going all the way to the top of government, including top  Civil Servants who rule the roost apparently.

Looking at  background can tell you a lot about what has influenced people to think the way they do; what their life experiences might be and how they have been affected by them. Their friends and affiliations  may also go a long way to explaining who benefits from their decisions. If they have another job besides being an MP, I want to know what it is, and why. They need to be able to justify why they need it. Running the country on behalf of their constituents should be a full time occupation unless there's a very good reason why not. 

Above all they should be fully accountable, with consequences for their decisions hitting them too.  

I would go along with all that Anna and especially the second jobs they take.

The are paid a decent salary plus expenses  and should concentrate on the job we are paying them for.

If they seek greener grass,  let them go to it and  leave their job for someone who's really interested.