That's Two England Games In A Row

Alextopman

3 hours ago, Hotmale 1954 said:

It's just about sunk in. What a player Kyle Walker. He's passed me by before. Shines like a beacon now. 

Walker is a terrific player but in my opinion not technically the best right back we've ever had at the Lane. That would be the late great Len Badger.

I use the word technically because that's what Len was, a better football player. It has to be admitted though that in terms of speed and athleticism Walker is exceptional.

When he played for us as a youngster his positional play wasn't always the best but he was that fast that it didn't really matter that much because he would rectify the mistake by catching the player he should have been covering and do his job.

4 hours ago, m williamson said:

Walker is a terrific player but in my opinion not technically the best right back we've ever had at the Lane. That would be the late great Len Badger.

I use the word technically because that's what Len was, a better football player. It has to be admitted though that in terms of speed and athleticism Walker is exceptional.

When he played for us as a youngster his positional play wasn't always the best but he was that fast that it didn't really matter that much because he would rectify the mistake by catching the player he should have been covering and do his job.

Different era, different game, players from then wouldn't last a full half now.

Players from now wouldn't have lasted 15 mins then.

Edited by Alextopman
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Alextopman said:

Different era, different game, players from then wouldn't last a full half now.

Players from now wouldn't have lasted 15 mins then.

Wouldn't disagree. Modern players wouldn't be able to handle the pitches and the ' tackling ' players from back then couldn't match the fitness and speed.

Couple of exceptions that I watched back then, Georgy Best and Jimmy Johnstone had so much skill and guts even under those conditions that they could have done it. Might both have to cut back a bit on the gargle though 😉

5 hours ago, m williamson said:

Spurs got a real bargain, wasn’t Kyle Naughton their main target?

3 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Spurs got a real bargain, wasn’t Kyle Naughton their main target?

Yes he was, at that stage in their development he looked the better prospect. Naughton is over a year older than Walker which made a difference back then. He's still a decent player and earns a good living. He's been eight years with Swansea and has just signed a new one year deal taking him to 35 years of age. Walker developed into a beast.

United, exhibiting our usual brilliance, cunning and flair when it comes to transfer dealing threw Walker in as a makeweight, a sort of two for the price of one deal 🙄 

• Like 1