Pension 'Tripple Lock' Unsustainable?

9 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Opinions differ, who woulda thunk it eh?

What do you think about people in their 20s actively trying to opt out of pension schemes now?

Yes,  of course opinions differ  which is why I've replied to your judgement of many people without your knowing the facts of each separate case.

Unlike you,  I haven't seen anyone trying to opt out although I accept that this may happen.

I agree that it's not normally a wise thing to do and is probably going to leave them in a poor situation later in life.

However, as Anna said ,  and I repeated that there are situations where people don't have a lot of choice in the matter.

Your very broad brush decisions,  based only on what you know personally,  are not well informed enough for you to pronounce them Morons unless you add that's just your personal view.

As long as you realise that you are not the sole arbiter of who's a moron or not.

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

As long as you realise that you are not the sole arbiter of who's a moron or not.

You really struggle with people posting opinions on here, dont you? 

@Padders I see you liked the above post. Did you also fail to make arrangements other than the State pension? I hope not.

Edited by HeHasRisen

16 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Employers have to offer a workplace pension but employees can opt out of these.

IMO this shouldnt be allowed and all employees should be forced to pay into a workplace/private pension.

i'm enough of a libertarian to appreciate that some people just don't want to be helped.

but i'm enough of a conservative to see that it'll be the public-purse which picks up the pieces when it all goes wrong the moment they retire without a pension.

So i'm inclined to agree: allowing people to opt-out of their workplace pension is just daft, it'll definitely end badly.

Edited by ads36

4 minutes ago, ads36 said:

i'm enough of a libertarian to appreciate that some people just don't want to be helped.

but i'm enough of a conservative to see that it'll be the public-purse which picks up the pieces when it all goes wrong the moment they retire without a pension.

So i'm inclined to agree: allowing people to opt-out of their workplace pension is just daft, it'll definitely end badly.

I imagine at some point it will change so that you can only claim the State Pension if you dont have a private pension up to a certain amount.

There will be nothing stopping me claiming the State pension when I am 68, when/if I do I will be earning more at the age of 68 than I do now, and I wont have a mortgage or NI to pay, its absurd.

Edited by HeHasRisen

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

@Padders I see you liked the above post. Did you also fail to make arrangements other than the State pension? I hope not.

I don't struggle with people posting their opinions at all.  Only with the types who set themselves up as Judge and Jury on others.

I also believe that there is room for discussion regarding whether people  should be able to opt out so easily.

As has been said,  you don't fully know other peoples situations which means that your verdict of "morons" is  simply your biased and probably unknowledgeable opinion.

It makes me wonder whilst discussing working pensions,  how you find time to work,  because not many employers would be happy for you to spend the entire day arguing on this forum. 

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

I don't struggle with people posting their opinions at all.  Only with the types who set themselves up as Judge and Jury on others.

I also believe that there is room for discussion regarding whether people  should be able to opt out so easily.

As has been said,  you don't fully know other peoples situations which means that your verdict of "morons" is  simply your biased and probably unknowledgeable opinion.

It makes me wonder whilst discussing working pensions,  how you find time to work,  because not many employers would be happy for you to spend the entire day arguing on this forum. 

That is none of your business tbf.

I will remember the first line of the post above when you are busy also pontificating to others.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

That is none of your business tbf.

I will remember the first line of the post above when you are busy also pontificating to others.

That is exactly what you can be accused of.   It's also not your business what other people do

13 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I'm comfortable HHR.

I paid into a superannuation scheme for 41 years.

However I do feel for people living on the state pension, for whatever reason, many people failed to do so...

I was talked into paying superannuation by a union official who explained to me in great detail the advantages of doing so.

Obviously I don't understand the inns and outs of the circumstance's of other people.

This of course was way back in 1963, things have changed since then.

Best decision I ever made though, enabled me to take early retirement in 2004.

I still moan like bluddy hell when the energy bill comes though...

Moaning is a privilege of us pensioners.....