Pension 'Tripple Lock' Unsustainable?

1 minute ago, *_ash_* said:

by their children maybe rather than by governments that constantly change, and constantly move the goalposts?

just a thought.

Your own children might not be a problem, but generally the traffic on internet forums, and the media etc is routinely negative, particularly I find by students  

6 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Erm you do know there were surveys done, don't you? 

https://www.statista.com/statistics/520954/brexit-votes-by-age/

Apology accepted. 

And everybody tells the truth in a survey don't they ?

A lot of people makes a very easy living through surveys but you can make figures prove anything.

You don't even know how my family, my friends,  and my neighbours voted,   and neither does the survey.

A bit delusional about apologies too    -    other people sometimes make them but you're not allowed to create your own.

Edited by Organgrinder

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

So you are dismissing three totally different surveys out of hand because you don't like what it tells us. Right, ok.

Doesn't matter whether I like the results or not.  I dismiss everything that a fool like you says.

My understanding is that the National Insurance you pay while you work does not go towards "your" pension. It is not invested in a pension pot as such. It goes towards paying the pension of the current crop of pensioners. Just like theirs went to the previous crop and so on.

When the state pension was first introduced, there was no magic pot of money for it, it was paid for by the National Insurance being paid by the workers at the time. Winding time forward to the present day, and the "pool" of pensioners who are living longer and longer (good for them!) is now getting bigger and bigger in relation to the "pool" of younger workers that are paying the National Insurance. Which I'm sure everyone will agree, presents a problem.

I don't know what the solution is, but things have to be paid for somehow - raising taxes is pretty much regarded as taboo by both major parties so where the money comes from is anyones guess.

• Like 1

Young people are idealistic and vote with their hearts

As they get older and start paying taxes, mortgages, having children and careers they start voting with their heads

If older people voted for Brexit it's better they have the experience to make an informed decision

I trust the vote of a baby boomer over Generation Z anyday 

10 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

If older people voted for Brexit it's better they have the experience to make an informed decision

But did they ?

Who can prove it ?

19 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Your own children might not be a problem, but generally the traffic on internet forums, and the media etc is routinely negative, particularly I find by students  

If most children look after their parents, then that's a significant percentage of the population cared for.

I'm also of the opinion that huge retirement villages could be built with cheap rents, and people could go live there in every city, and live comfortably on their state pensions. The problem with Britain is that everything has to be expensive, like £800 a week for staff in places... most people who reach retirement age could easily look after themselves in a retirement villlage. Imagine one with around 10k people... people could come and do markets and sell their produce to them, no need to pay much rent on a plot, just let people come and sell their stuff. More able ones could volunteer to organise stuff. Unemployed who want experience could volunteer to do stuff. etc. A little medical centre on site with someone experienced and the rest students. 

All kinds of things to make it sustainable and not cost the earth that the current system does.