Pension 'Tripple Lock' Unsustainable?

3 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

If most children look after their parents, then that's a significant percentage of the population cared for.

I'm also of the opinion that huge retirement villages could be built with cheap rents, and people could go live there in every city, and live comfortably on their state pensions. The problem with Britain is that everything has to be expensive, like £800 a week for staff in places... most people who reach retirement age could easily look after themselves in a retirement villlage. Imagine one with around 10k people... people could come and do markets and sell their produce to them, no need to pay much rent on a plot, just let people come and sell their stuff. More able ones could volunteer to organise stuff. Unemployed who want experience could volunteer to do stuff. etc. A little medical centre on site with someone experienced and the rest students. 

All kinds of things to make it sustainable and not cost the earth that the current system does.

I agree that would be a good workable arrangement which would help many and there are already communities like that for the wealthy.

Unfortunately,  the amount of either thought or investment into community care and projects such as you mention,  is simply not there.

The main reason it's not there is because nobody's going to get rich from it.

There are many assisted living centres where much more could be done towards something such as you suggest but Government don't care and Local Authorities are too cash strapped.

8 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

If most children look after their parents, then that's a significant percentage of the population cared for.

I'm also of the opinion that huge retirement villages could be built with cheap rents, and people could go live there in every city, and live comfortably on their state pensions. The problem with Britain is that everything has to be expensive, like £800 a week for staff in places... most people who reach retirement age could easily look after themselves in a retirement villlage. Imagine one with around 10k people... people could come and do markets and sell their produce to them, no need to pay much rent on a plot, just let people come and sell their stuff. More able ones could volunteer to organise stuff. Unemployed who want experience could volunteer to do stuff. etc. A little medical centre on site with someone experienced and the rest students. 

All kinds of things to make it sustainable and not cost the earth that the current system does.

Too late for some people but it should be made law that you cannot opt out ofwork pension schemes. It's law they have to be offered but people opt out. 

You can't miss from your wages money you never had.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

Too late for some people but it should be made law that you cannot opt out ofwork pension schemes. It's law they have to be offered but people opt out. 

but, and major but!

How many people trust this or any government with pensions schemes?

How many people trust this or any government to allow private companies doing pension schemes?

The old people now say they have been conned by past governments, and this is due to the world changing... well I would argue that the world is changing faster now than ever before... so who's to say where that money will go from your wages every month?

I think it would be a brave government to propose such a thing, as it is likely to be a vote loser. What do you think?

Let's not forget, the tories and the labour dont care about us, they care about winning votes, not the greater good.

8 minutes ago, *_ash_* said:

think it would be a brave government to propose such a thing, as it is likely to be a vote loser. What do you think?

It's already law that employers have to offer and I think automatically enroll all employees in a workplace pension, it isn't that much of a stretch to say you can't bail from it. 

If anyone who is aged 18 now going into work is happy to rely on just a state pension 50 or more years down the line then they are, in my opinion (those three words just for Mr Grinder), absolutely moronic. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

That's already been said but doesn't have a bearing on what *_ash_* has suggested.

Having a pension addresses just one of the problems of people living longer.

Having money isn't always the only answer to the problems that lots of  aged citizens bring.

I  have never argued about whether the triple lock should stay or go but I do remember Governments of both persuasions promise better provisions for the aged and those needing care.

It's always quietly dropped again as soon as it's said but that needs to be paid for on top of pensions.

Edited by Organgrinder

Over the years I've seen that children can't wait to get their elderly relatives into care so they can get their hands on their assets

Dump their family on the state and then sell their house

Thats why I was in favour of the government demanding that people's assets pay for their elderly care

The money should not be passed down and then the taxpayer to pay for their care etc 

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

It's already law that employers have to offer and I think automatically enroll all employees in a workplace pension, it isn't that much of a stretch to say you can't bail from it. 

If anyone who is aged 18 now going into work is happy to rely on just a state pension 50 or more years down the line then they are, in my opinion (those three words just for Mr Grinder), absolutely moronic. 

That's 2 words.  did you dodge schooling too ?

Tell the government to do it then and see what an improvement that does for the care of old people.

We need real policies.

10 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Over the years I've seen that children can't wait to get their elderly relatives into care so they can get their hands on their assets

Dump their family on the state and then sell their house

Thats why I was in favour of the government demanding that people's assets pay for their elderly care

The money should not be passed down and then the taxpayer to pay for their care etc 

Again,  we need proper policies to deal with old age and the care of old / infirm / disabled people.

I'm looking a bit further than whether your tax ( or my tax ) may go up.

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

"in my opinion" is two words?

Thought you were referring to  "absolutely moronic"

You should specify what's for me,  as you single me out so much.

Glad my money wasn't wasted on your schooling.

Edited by Organgrinder

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Again,  we need proper policies to deal with old age and the care of old / infirm / disabled people.

I'm looking a bit further than whether your tax ( or my tax ) may go up.

Thought you were referring to  "absolutely moronic"

You should specify what's for me as you single me out so much.

Glad my money wasn't wasted on your schooling.

Hello, Mr Pot.