Pension 'Tripple Lock' Unsustainable?

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

Hello, Mr Pot. 

You would be better getting back to the debate proper because  your would-be wisecracks are definitely going downhill and were neither smart nor funny in the first place.

Can you debate ?

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

You would be better getting back to the debate proper because  your would-be wisecracks are definitely going downhill and were neither smart nor funny in the first place.

Can you debate ?

I've said my piece. 

Personally I would means test the state pension but no party is going to get into power with a policy like that.  It's absurd that when I retire and if I choose to claim the state pension I will be earning more than I do now, and I won't have NI or a mortgage to pay. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

Just now, HeHasRisen said:

I've said my piece. 

Personally I would means test the state pension but no party is going to get into power with a policy like that. 

It's not an answer then.

3 hours ago, *_ash_* said:

If most children look after their parents, then that's a significant percentage of the population cared for.

I'm also of the opinion that huge retirement villages could be built with cheap rents, and people could go live there in every city, and live comfortably on their state pensions. The problem with Britain is that everything has to be expensive, like £800 a week for staff in places... most people who reach retirement age could easily look after themselves in a retirement villlage. Imagine one with around 10k people... people could come and do markets and sell their produce to them, no need to pay much rent on a plot, just let people come and sell their stuff. More able ones could volunteer to organise stuff. Unemployed who want experience could volunteer to do stuff. etc. A little medical centre on site with someone experienced and the rest students. 

All kinds of things to make it sustainable and not cost the earth that the current system does.

Retirement villages are indeed an interesting idea, but the problem is the affordability. As with everything these days, value they are not. Ritz prices for B&B lodgings is not a good deal, and the people who do the valuable work so they function are usually amongst the lowest paid, so who is getting rich out of this exploitation? Because somebody is...

3 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Over the years I've seen that children can't wait to get their elderly relatives into care so they can get their hands on their assets

Dump their family on the state and then sell their house

Thats why I was in favour of the government demanding that people's assets pay for their elderly care

The money should not be passed down and then the taxpayer to pay for their care etc 

How does that second sentence work?  My Brothers  mother in law has recently gone into home and they have got to sell her home to pay for it .