20mph To Become The Default Urban Speed Limit (Instead Of 30mph) ?

7 minutes ago, dsweetman said:

These days I reside in scotland where , certainly in the borders,a 20 mph limit has been in force for over a year in some towns and villages,very few drivers stick to that limit and I am sure that it would not save lives or reduce pollution ,more likely the opposite!Bicycle people are allowed to break speed limits,ignore traffic signs etc.etc.but the poor motorist (who pays silly money to use the roads) is penalised and seen as the wicked witch!)This war on the motorist has to stop because it will kill town centres (LEZ areas and high parking charges all brought about by tree hugging cretins!

đŸŽ»

On 15/09/2023 at 16:54, RJRB said:

There are plenty of side roads in Sheffield where a decent driver would not even drive at 20mph .

I can understand some extra measures around schools and heavy pedestrian areas

However  if all the current 30mph limited roads went to 20 mph then it would be madness.

e,g Penistone Road, Rivelin Valley Road and others too numerous to mention.

If these 20 mph limits are subject to speed cameras then totting up bans and ÂŁ100 fines will rocket.

No petrol or Diesel engine functions efficiently at this speed.

I hope that any creep of 20mph limits is severely limited.

I have upvoted your post RJ, though I think 20mph is right for genuinely residential areas (narrow roads with cars parked either side).

As I said earlier, 20mph for the road in front of my shop (Penistone Rd) is too low, but for the road behind (Hatton Rd) it's about right.

1 minute ago, rogets said:

I think 20mph is still too fast, if it was 5mph then less accidents would occur

I was going to suggest walking backwards,   but that would probably make it more dangerous unless we had a reverse periscope.

Speeding drivers that ultimely cause congestion and accidents are also reponsible for an increase in domestic violence. Drivers caught speeding should have partners and children interviewed if they are daft enough to stay with them to make sure they are safe.
https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0047272718300422