American Xl Bully Dog Ban

So another person has been attacked & now died due to being attacked by 2 American XL Bull dogs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-66817795

Of course they should be banned but it's apparently not as simple as the PM making soundbite statements that this will be done by the end of the year as its a DEFRA matter to determine & define the characteristics of the breed so they can be added to the Dangerous Dogs banned list. 

What happens in the meantime time?  End of the year?  More like end of 2024.

Latest figures state nearly 9,000 people being treated for dog bites, so it's not only the American XL that's responsible.  All dogs have the potential to attack for a number of reasons.  Even the most docile of dogs can snap occasionally.  I know, I'm a dog owner.  Dogs also attack other dogs if not kept under control. 

A better approach would be to make it law & they could bring this in almost immediately, that ALL dog owners have their dogs muzzled when out in a public place or risk a fine, confiscation of the dog. 

I'd say responsible dog owners wouldn't have any issues with this approach? 

Edited by Baron99
  • Like 3

Some of these large and seemingly aggressive breeds would probably be more at home in a zoo than on a lead. My dog owning standards go a lot further than visible control, a dog that requires muzzling also requires a home that is escape proof, I do my very best with my home and garden but ‘ hand on heart’, can’t say it reaches those standards.

1 hour ago, Baron99 said:

So another person has been attacked & now died due to being attacked by 2 American XL Bull dogs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-stoke-staffordshire-66817795

Of course they should be banned but it's apparently not as simple as the PM making soundbite statements that this will be done by the end of the year as its a DEFRA matter to determine & define the characteristics of the breed so they can be added to the Dangerous Dogs banned list. 

What happens in the meantime time?  End of the year?  More like end of 2024.

Latest figures state nearly 9,000 people being treated for dog bites, so it's not only the American XL that's responsible.  All dogs have the potential to attack for a number of reasons.  Even the most docile of dogs can snap occasionally.  I know, I'm a dog owner.  Dogs also attack other dogs if not kept under control. 

A better approach would be to make it law & they could bring this in almost immediately, that ALL dog owners have their dogs muzzled when out in a public place or risk a fine, confiscation of the dog. 

I'd say responsible dog owners wouldn't have any issues with this approach? 

Why would you want to muzzle a perfectly benign animal?

Maybe we should make all humans wear Kevlar suits when out and about. That should sort the virtually non-existent problem out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Al Bundy said:

Why there is even a discussion about banning these aggressive and unpredictable dogs is beyond me.

But but but jack Russells..

🙄

I don’t think that there is much discussion about the need to ban them. The discussion revolves around how to define them.

You can’t ban something if you can’t say what it is

Just now, ThePilot said:

Well yes but I, and probably millions of others, had likely heard absolutely nothing about this breed before that video the other week of the one attacking the man in the petrol station.

They must have been vicious before this month, surely?