American Xl Bully Dog Ban

2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

You're absolutely right with that comment.

People use the same argument against electric scooters saying they have killed someone whilst Ignoring cars, buses, trucks etc.

We just need a sense of proportion injecting rather than wild statements from people with their own agenda.

Cars and buses don't jump over fences and attack people in their own gardens, cars and buses don't share parkland with humans. We are talking about a breed of animal that is bred for bloodsports and bought for a specific reason. A breed of animal that is capable of killing humans and has done so time after time. Should I be allowed a pet lion? If so why, if not, why not?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Two of these dogs ruined a man's life on Thursday, by ending it. I dare say his family's life will be ruined too. Having a breed of dog that is capable of such brutality is not acceptable. End of story. 

I dare say you're right but, I'm pointing out that many more people die for many more different reasons and we don't ban the things that killed them.

Do some figure checking on deaths from dogs,  Power tools, road vehicles, falls and YES,  even Covid   -   the Covid  that doesn't exist and you'll see how stupid your argument is.  

My Dad died on a Sheffield road and do you think my family didn't feel exactly the same as that poor man's family.  Dogs are NOT the only killers.  Just your obsession.

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

Cars and buses don't jump over fences and attack people in their own gardens, cars and buses don't share parkland with humans. We are talking about a breed of animal that is bred for bloodsports and bought for a specific reason. A breed of animal that is capable of killing humans and has done so time after time. Should I be allowed a pet lion? If so why, if not, why not?

That's not what happened here but in any case, despite the circumstances     You are just as dead and your family is just as hurt.

If you want to know what breed of animal has killed millions more humans than any other thing  -  ITS HUMANS.

1 minute ago, Organgrinder said:

I dare say you're right but, I'm pointing out that many more people die for many more different reasons and we don't ban the things that killed them.

Do some figure checking on deaths from dogs,  Power tools, road vehicles, falls and YES,  even Covid   -   the Covid  that doesn't exist and you'll see how stupid your argument is.  

My Dad died on a Sheffield road and do you think my family didn't feel exactly the same as that poor man's family.  Dogs are NOT the only killers.  Just your obsession.

I am sorry to hear that you lost your father. But there needs to be context. You can't compare two completely different scenarios with each other and expect a one size fits all policy. We need roads to a) get people to work, supermarkets, shops

B) take people to places that enrich their life and bring enjoyment e.g. the purpose of life, such as bowling alleys, football matches, concerts

C) take people to hospital in an emergency, to preserve life

People have a freedom to choose any breed of dog they want, but that doesn't mean they should pick one of the few breeds out of the hundreds that has considerable potential to be lethal and a proven record of being vicious. It's not fair to compromise the safety of others because someone wants to deliberately choose a dog that looks intimidating. 

8 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

you want to know what breed of animal has killed millions more humans than any other thing  -  ITS HUMANS.

Because humans are the most intelligent of species and therefore the most precious. That is why human life trumps all other animals.

3 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

People have a freedom to choose any breed of dog they want, but that doesn't mean they should pick one of the few breeds out of the hundreds that has considerable potential to be lethal and a proven record of being vicious. It's not fair to compromise the safety of others because someone wants to deliberately choose a dog that looks intimidating. 

Because humans are the most intelligent of species and therefore the most precious. That is why human life trumps all other animals.

I'm not a dog loving person Irene,

Although I do have relatives with dogs, and I love playing with them..

Brother-in-law had a Pointer, what a big daft soft dog he was, I loved him.

What I can't understand is why a person would choose this particular type of dog, their vicious, nasty, and ugly...

There's a saying that dogs look like their owners, I can believe that.....

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Padders said:

I'm not a dog loving person Irene,

Although I do have relatives with dogs, and I love playing with them..

Brother-in-law had a Pointer, what a big daft soft dog he was, I loved him.

What I can't understand is why a person would choose this particular type of dog, their vicious, nasty, and ugly...

There's a saying that dogs look like their owners, I can believe that.....

I completely agree with you, Padders. There is nothing endearing about this type of dog. They look evil and ugly. People choose them for one reason and one reason alone - intimidation. 

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

that it's not easy to properly define a type of dog which may kill

It's simple, if it has a broad neck (where these things get most of their strength to rip people's ligaments open), it's a bull dog and should be banned. If it has a broad nose and large mouth, it's a bull dog and should be banned. If it is advertised in listings as "bull dog for sale", it's a bull dog and shoild be banned. 

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's most definitely a duck.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

What purpose does an ugly, aggressive, potentially lethal breed of hound that terrorises children and makes parklands no go areas serve? You have really excelled yourself with this one Melvin! 🙃

You are wasting your time with this particular discussion. It's like reading a discussion with 13 year olds who are incapable of seeing common sense.

Edited by Al Bundy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

Quite correct.  People have the freedom to choose which dog they want and that is exactly what they do without your obsessions interfering.. 

The government are going to look at the problem and decide what to do and you,  like I,  won't have a say in it.

I could debate the intelligence of some humans but will save that for another day.    If I owned a dog,  which I don't at this time,  my dogs life would easily trump yours.