American Xl Bully Dog Ban

Just now, El Cid said:

The owner was 53, rather overweight, poor and probably didn't get out enough.

And maybe he mistreated and abused the animal which caused it to snap?

To be clear. I'm not saying that is the case. Just one of many possibilities. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

And maybe he mistreated and abused the animal which caused it to snap?

To be clear. I'm not saying that is the case. Just one of many possibilities. 

I cannot imagine having a loving pet and then to learn that they could have a propensity to kill.

People no longer give dogs respect, people with no experience of dogs, I have experience of dogs running free as a child and being chased by dogs.

Dogs rarely run free, so children don't learn to give them space.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Most dogs won't. Like most people in fact.

That's true, of course. However, some breeds of dog are not for the novice. For example, it would be a bad idea for someone not skilled with dogs getting a Tibetan mastiff as a first pet, or a Kangal shepherd or a chow chow. It's a problem when more difficult or temperamental or volatile breeds become fashionable and every chuff wants one, regardless of how well equipped they are to handle it. They should get a more placid / predictable breed from a breeder or rescue centre that's picky who they sell to. Or just don't get a dog, it's not like it's a fundamental right or anything.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Delbow said:

That's true, of course. However, some breeds of dog are not for the novice. For example, it would be a bad idea for someone not skilled with dogs getting a Tibetan mastiff as a first pet, or a Kangal shepherd or a chow chow. It's a problem when more difficult or temperamental or volatile breeds become fashionable and every chuff wants one, regardless of how well equipped they are to handle it. They should get a more placid / predictable breed from a breeder or rescue centre that's picky who they sell to. Or just don't get a dog, it's not like it's a fundamental right or anything.

That's a damn fine post. 👏

I agree with every word. I personally think the problem of XL Bullies has nothing to do with the dog but everything to do with inadequate people who get them for the status. As you so rightly point out some breeds aren't for the novice. XLB's definitely come under that category. I know a couple of people who've owned and bred them for years. Amazing animals but often sold to the wrong people in a lot of instances. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Delbow said:

The other problem is that when a breed suddenly becomes fashionable they also tend to become massively inbred and even more unpredictable.

12 hours ago, Delbow said:

This time a man in Accrington

These dogs are giving us a hint, no? I don't understand why you'd want to share your living space with something that you know could unpredictably kill you at any time. Other breeds of dog are available, so I understand.

Indeed.

I mean seriously, why on earth would anyone bring such an animal into their home when there are literally hundreds of other breeds you could choose?

Do they not realise that folk just laugh at them and think it's because they have a small todger or want to look rock or something?