Apparently Working In A Humourless Office Is 'Exciting'

It’s many years since I worked out of an office but well recall it’s resident misery guts. He wasn’t in to humour as he appeared to consider it to be unprofessional, having said that he was very good at his job. As for ‘exciting’ I never found any part of office work to be such.

17 hours ago, Mister M said:

Perhaps after your visiting the GP or hospital, your doctors have a good laugh about you. You don't know!

They may well do.

On the subject of having a laugh medically.....

I can remember when I went for a colonoscopy years ago, it was my finest hour, joke wise, though, unfortunately, younger people may not get it now.

As they put the camera up I said to the staff is this your Steven Spielberg moment ?

How do you mean ?

Close encounters of the turd kind !

Come on, that's funny, they thought so, it  got a big laugh actually, from all of them.

Edited by Chekhov
  • Haha 1

I've been reading through this thread and have decided if Chekhov wants to have a laugh with his workmates that's fine,   male banter amongst amongst other males probably lightens the atmosphere and makes the day go smoothly.

Obviously things will be professional when dealing with customers -  females working together,  particularly as they used to in factories would have found working life a tad depressing if they couldn't have a laugh,  however males working with females,  especially young ones,  must watch their language as that makes the day run smoother also.

5 hours ago, cressida said:

I've been reading through this thread and have decided if Chekhov wants to have a laugh with his workmates that's fine,   male banter amongst amongst other males probably lightens the atmosphere and makes the day go smoothly.

Obviously things will be professional when dealing with customers -  females working together,  particularly as they used to in factories would have found working life a tad depressing if they couldn't have a laugh,  however males working with females,  especially young ones,  must watch their language as that makes the day run smoother also.

This is absolutely true.

Younger women are liable to be less confident and more sensitive than more mature women. It is far more likely that a more mature woman would join in on any banter and generally fit in much better. Generally being the word, I know some younger women (mid 20s ? One doesn't ask....) who appear to be perfectly confident and not at all over sensitive, but you just can't tell I suppose....

If I ever employ a woman, remind me to ensure she's an older one, 50+ ?

Edited by Chekhov

14 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

This is absolutely true.

Younger women are liable to be less confident and more sensitive than more mature women. It is far more likely that a more mature woman would join in on any banter and generally fit in much better. Generally being the word, I know some younger women (mid 20s ? One doesn't ask....) who appear to be perfectly confident and not at all over sensitive, but you just can't tell I suppose....

If I ever employ a woman, remind me to ensure she's an older one, 50+ ?

Maybe someone should remind you of your responsibilities under the Equalities Act 2010

11 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Maybe someone should remind you of your responsibilities under the Equalities Act 2010

Tell you what, you remind me.

If I think an older woman would fit in here better than a younger one, are you implying I should be forced to employ someone I do not want to ?