Apparently Working In A Humourless Office Is 'Exciting'

1 hour ago, Findlay said:

You completely missed the point. .. You dont CARE how good they are is the point. YOUR arrogance is dismissing people that are EXCELLENT at the expense of having a laugh

It is not arrogant at all.

Why is it arrogant to want to enjoy going to work ?

27 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I’d like to thank the Sheffield Forum humourlessness correspondent for starting this thread.

You really can’t beat a bit of expertise.

Thank you for your useful and/or and/or amusing and/or relevant post.

1 hour ago, Delayed said:

Again, you are just making something up and getting angry about it. Which shows that you don't know what goes off in the real world beyond your shop and headlines. 

How can I be making something up when everyone agrees more and more of what people say in jest (or otherwise) is no longer acceptable.

Example, does this joke pass the "Delayed" acceptability test ? :

Question : Can I have tomorrow morning off work as I need to go to the dentist ?

Answer Why don't you just send them in the post ?

Edited by Chekhov

You don't. Some bespoke shop in Hillsborough does not represent the atypical workplace. But shocker, you spoke to someone who agrees with you so it must be true. 

It wasn't just "someone I talked to", it's everyone I talk to.

I have never talked to anyone, face to face, who agrees with all this over sensitive Woke cobblers.

PS : what is a "bespoke shop" ?

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

Would you like to walk into an office to see your manager being given a blow job by his current squeeze?

Where does that happen, I want to go and work there !

I think you've made the mistake of transposing what the Parliamentary Standards Commissioner said should apply to Parliament, to what should happen across all workplaces in the UK. That's not what he's saying at all.

I think it [modern workplaces are ultra cautious to never upset anyone and that is a good thing] is exactly what he is saying.

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, Mkapaka said:

Ahhhh….The daily “confirmation bias” blog by chekhov 

I assume by that remark you are disagreeing with me and pretty much everything that was deemed acceptable - joke wise - 20 years ago is still acceptable now. No increase in the censorship  sensitivity levels ?

Good to hear it, I hope you're right and I am wrong.

13 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

It wasn't just "someone I talked to", it's everyone I talk to.

I have never talked to anyone, face to face, who agrees with all this over sensitive Woke cobblers.

Exactly, you just talk to people within your circle who happen to share the same opinion.

You don't speak to EVERYONE 

PS : what is a "bespoke shop" ?

A shop that sells a particular item that isn't commonly needed. You sell TV aerials and other specific equipment. It's not a shop that is needed by EVERYONE such as a Shoe Shop. 

Where does that happen, I want to go and work there !

I think it [modern workplaces are ultra cautious to never upset anyone and that is a good thing] is exactly what he is saying.

Workplaces are not ultra cautious. You are just buying into that MSM

30 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

No what he's saying is that this and the Government which preceded it had standards which are / were base - in terms of declarations of interest, lobbying and sexual harassment to name but a few.

Very few members of the public are seemingly happy with current standards of Government. Greenberg is not being prescriptive about what a 'good workplace looks like', simply because all workplaces are different.

However what he seems to be saying  is that government conduct should be judged by the conventions laid out by the Ministerial Code, and the Nolan principles of standards in public life. In effect there should be a higher bar by which to judge Ministers and those working for them. Which essentially is what I understood public life to be about.

His complaint is that some MPs who have been in parliament a long time seem not to care about codes and standards, and that it has in effect become a 'boy's club' where numerous scandals (e.g. Pincher affair, Owen Paterson scandal, PPE and VIP lane scandals, Partygate, etc etc) have all become the norm rather than the exception....That politicians should behave in a manner which is above what is expected of others. Whereas standards are so low, most workplaces are cleaner and less sleazy than those in this and the previous couple of parliaments.

I don't think he ever mentioned no-one being allowed to upset anyone else.

Edited by Mister M

No what he's saying is that this and the Government which preceded it had standards which are / were base - in terms of declarations of interest, lobbying and sexual harassment to name but a few.

Very few members of the public are seemingly happy with current standards of Government. Greenberg is not being prescriptive about what a 'good workplace looks like', simply because all workplaces are different.

However what he seems to be saying  is that government conduct should be judged by the conventions laid out by the Ministerial Code, and the Nolan principles of standards in public life. In effect there should be a higher bar by which to judge Ministers and those working for them. Which essentially is what I understood public life to be about.

His complaint is that some MPs who have been in parliament a long time seem not to care about codes and standards, and that it has in effect become a 'boy's club' where numerous scandals (e.g. Pincher affair, Owen Paterson scandal, PPE and VIP lane scandals, Partygate, etc etc) have all become the norm rather than the exception....That politicians should behave in a manner which is above what is expected of others. Whereas standards are so low, most workplaces are cleaner and less sleazy than those in this and the previous couple of parliaments.

I don't think he ever mentioned no-one being allowed to upset anyone else.

How can you say that when he stated this :

Daniel Greenberg, parliamentary commissioner for standards, said that an influx of new MPs would give parliament a fresh start because they would bring with them experience of modern workplaces.

Greenberg said the new intake would probably come from "exciting [sic] workplace environments where they will be used to the very best in modern standards of how a [modern] workplace works [sic] and how colleagues treat each other".

A shop that sells a particular item that isn't commonly needed. You sell TV aerials and other specific equipment. It's not a shop that is needed by EVERYONE such as a Shoe Shop. 

Why, when it comes to if people want to have a laugh and enjoy coming to work, should that make any difference ?

Exactly, you just talk to people within your circle who happen to share the same opinion.

You don't speak to EVERYONE 

I never said I speak to everyone.

But, how could I manage to only speak to "people who share the same opinions" [as me] ?

Workplaces are not ultra cautious.

Not all of them are, but I would bet good many many are.

I would guess the worst offenders (as regards what is "acceptable" to say at work), are larger organisations, with public sector ones (and charities ? ) the worst of the bunch.

Edited by Chekhov