Lampedusa

11 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

That's quite correct but,  it's the new generations who have to suffer the effects of the terrorism which previous generations created.

If we interfere in other countries ( which we have )  we don't get a free ride because the generations have moved on.  The kids remember what happened to their dads & grandads as in Northern Ireland.

Interfer? 

I seem to remember our brave armed forces going to places like Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq to protect the people from brutal regimes and dictators

Many of our soldiers died but you lefties always seem to leave out that part

And remember that while our soldiers were putting their lives on the line in these countries millions of their own cowardly men ran away and jumped on boats to the UK 

Welcomed with open arms by liberals like you 🙄

8 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Interfer? 

I seem to remember our brave armed forces going to places like Syria, Afghanistan and Iraq to protect the people from brutal regimes and dictators

Many of our soldiers died but you lefties always seem to leave out that part

And remember that while our soldiers were putting their lives on the line in these countries millions of their own cowardly men ran away and jumped on boats to the UK 

Welcomed with open arms by liberals like you 🙄

You need to do a lot of history reading if that's what you think.

We helped to create Saddam.  We sold him his arms and trained him and his soldiers.  We sold him the gas that he used on the Kurds.

It's only when the monster that we created started doing things without our permission that we decided he was a loose cannon.

Our soldiers,  as always,  did the job that they signed up to do whilst the politicians were bust making their stupid mistakes.

Tell me of a single Islamic terrorist act in the UK committed before Iraq and Afghanistan ?     We brought that about   -   weren't we clever ?

Get reading about Saddam so that you know what you're discussing   -   for a change.

Nothing liberal about not marching into other countries when they haven't attacked you.  silly man

8 minutes ago, cressida said:

I will never subscribe to the 'blame culture' when we weren't even born.

You may not love,  but that doesn't stop others who feel they have a grievance.

Those who behave themselves,  usually stay out of trouble.

13 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

You need to do a lot of history reading if that's what you think.

We helped to create Saddam.  We sold him his arms and trained him and his soldiers.  We sold him the gas that he used on the Kurds.

It's only when the monster that we created started doing things without our permission that we decided he was a loose cannon.

Our soldiers,  as always,  did the job that they signed up to do whilst the politicians were bust making their stupid mistakes.

Tell me of a single Islamic terrorist act in the UK committed before Iraq and Afghanistan ?     We brought that about   -   weren't we clever ?

Get reading about Saddam so that you know what you're discussing   -   for a change.

Nothing liberal about not marching into other countries when they haven't attacked you.  silly man

You may not love,  but that doesn't stop others who feel they have a grievance.

Those who behave themselves,  usually stay out of trouble.

I have read and watched documentaries about Saddam and dragged the country kicking and screaming into the 21st century by building infrastructure, hospitals, schools, roads etc etc 

He was a brutal dictator but we all know that it takes brutality to run a country like Iraq

An iron fist is the only way to keep the Middle East from tearing itself apart

Bring them all back I say

They don't want democracy.....they've made that quite clear 

And yes we sell weapons but if they didn't buy ours they would buy someone else's

I'd rather the money comes to us than other countries 

We sell weapons but we don't pull the triggers 

Edited by Jack Grey

43 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I have read and watched documentaries about Saddam and dragged the country kicking and screaming into the 21st century by building infrastructure, hospitals, schools, roads etc etc 

He was a brutal dictator but we all know that it takes brutality to run a country like Iraq

And yes we sell weapons but if they didn't buy ours they would buy someone else's

So was Stalin and most communist leaders- and look what they did.

Saddam and Gaddafi at least kept stability- before we interfered.  Now look at the ME.

UK and its allies created the terrorism that has spread far and wide,  let alone destruction of the countries.

1 hour ago, cressida said:

I will never subscribe to the 'blame culture' when we weren't even born.

where do you think Al Queda and its leaders came from? they were created by the west to fight the Russians, its only decades later when loyalties change that major problems can arise.

Why do you think theres different tribes and factions fighting each other in places like Iraq, Afganistan, Somalia, Yemen?

Its not about blame its about looking deeper at the root causes of an issue, not just pontificate and shout theyre all coming over here for our jobs and our women

Edited by melthebell

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Guardian reader by any chance?

weve gone through this before, only when you post a link to a story

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

I am guessing yourself and Mkapaka don't have a property in Lampedusa?

does anybody on here? i'd never heard of the place until this story broke

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

where do you think Al Queda and its leaders came from? they were created by the west to fight the Russians, its only decades later when loyalties change that major problems can arise.

Why do you think theres different tribes and factions fighting each other in places like Iraq, Afganistan, Somalia, Yemen?

Its not about blame its about looking deeper at the root causes of an issue, not just pontificate and shout theyre all coming over here for our jobs and our women

Religion?

Are you suggesting these places would be top holiday spots without interference?

2 hours ago, Jack Grey said:

Reading that,  gives every explanation we need,   for why there is so much trouble in the middle east.

Iron fists breed hatred,  uprisings,  revolutions and anything else you care to name.

A simple case in point is Northern Ireland.

Jaw jaw is better than War war.

You seem to be a slow learner.

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

Reading that,  gives every explanation we need,   for why there is so much trouble in the middle east.

Iron fists breed hatred,  uprisings,  revolutions and anything else you care to name.

A simple case in point is Northern Ireland.

Jaw jaw is better than War war.

You seem to be a slow learner.

I live in the real world

I'd love to live in your world where we all stand in a circle singing Kumbaya but that's just fantasy 

Even in 2023 we are just tribes