Do Not Get Scammed, Australian Visas Are Free.

A lesson for all of us.....

It had been implied to me that one had to pay for an Australian visa. I put "australian visa application" in to Google and it bought up "Australian Visa - Welcome to Australia" (comes up as "TRAVELAUSTRALIA"). I filled it all in and paid, then only realised when filling the second one in (for my wife) it was charging me £99 USD !

Why was it charging me USD ?

And $99 is about £80 !

It was then I realised something was wrong, I checked on the FCO website, used the link to the actual Australian Govt website where they state the visa is free :

https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/evisitor-651#Overview

I immediately tried to cancel the "pending payment" on my bank account but the bank said I could not. I had to wait till it was paid and then I could dispute it but only if I did not receive the visa.

All in all very annoying, at least I didn't pay for my wife and child's..... 

I E Mailed them ASAP (on australia@e-travelonline.com ) and, somewhat surprisingly, they say they are prepared to refund me, less a $29 "administration fee".

$29 is about £24, worth it to learn from it, assuming I get the (partial) refund....

The important thing is to try and avoid others getting scammed !

24 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

And all this coming from the person saying banks have too much security in place.

I think having to be sent a One Time Passcode for a payment to the HMRC is ludicrous, don't you ?

Edited by Chekhov

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Oh come on, you have to see there is a delicious irony here. There is apparently too much hand holding, until it affect you, when there seemingly isn't enough of it. 

I am simply pointing out that insisting on a OTP for a payment to the HMRC is cobblers, it is not necessary at all.

Here, I am trying to publicise the fact that people do not need to pay for a visa for Australia.

I do not see the equivalence at all.

Edited by Chekhov

3 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

If only the authorities had extra safeguards in place to have stopped it happening to you!

Oh....

Where have I said "the authorities [should have] extra safeguards in place to have stopped it [being charged for a visa when you can get one for free] happening" .

What I did point out was that Google are being hypocritical by accepting adverts from companies operating this kind of swindle when they are infamous for their virtue signalling.

No Google are not.  As pointed out on your other thread the company you went to is a service provider and you paid for their service.  It states exactly what they are on their own webpage so where is the scam?   As far as Google is concerned, it's legitimate business as much as your own is.

NOTICE: We are an agency not affiliated with the Australian Government website. The decision to grant any permit is made by the Australian Government. We provide services and assistance on a professional fee basis of $99 for. A request can be presented also on the official website for a lower fee but without our help and assistance.

Virtue signalling is nothing to do with it.  

Edited by ECCOnoob

5 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

And all this coming from the person saying banks have too much security in place.

On the subject of online security, what are the security implications of Google directing people to a non official website where they are required to put loads of personal information in ?