Sunak : Nett Zero But In A 'More Proportionate' Way

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is preparing to water down some of Britain’s climate commitments, saying the country must fight climate change without penalizing workers and consumers.

Sunak issued a late-night statement Tuesday in response to a BBC report saying the prime minister is considering extending deadlines for bans on new gasoline and diesel cars—currently due in 2030—and on new natural-gas home heating.

Sunak said that in a speech this week he will set out a “proportionate” approach to the environment. He did not set a date for the speech, which could come as early as Wednesday.

“For too many years politicians in governments of all stripes have not been honest about costs and trade-offs," Sunak said in a statement. "Instead they have taken the easy way out, saying we can have it all.”

https://time.com/6315892/uk-rishi-sunak-backtrack-climate-commitments/

At last, a bit of honesty....

There is no honesty in this. He’s just seen how ULEZ earned him a few votes in a by-election.

What you are witnessing is one third of the Tory strategy for the next election. The other two thirds being shout woke  as loudly as possible, and blame Labour for things that the Tories have done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Prettytom said:

There is no honesty in this. He’s just seen how ULEZ earned him a few votes in a by-election.

What you are witnessing is one third of the Tory strategy for the next election. The other two thirds being shout woke  as loudly as possible, and blame Labour for things that the Tories have done.

I'm sorry but you are wrong, this is what he said :

“For too many years politicians in governments of all stripes have not been honest about costs and trade-offs," Sunak said in a statement. "Instead they have taken the easy way out, saying we can have it all.”

And he is spot on.

I heard the other day that about 60% of the hoped for reductions in CO2 will have to come from "behavioural changes".

The politicians don't mention that, or at least not in any detail. But what "behavioural changes" actually means is colder houses, less driving (if any at all if you are poor), less travel (particularly less flying), less consumption (i.e. people are expected to buy and live with less), more expensive food (particularly meat etc) etc etc.

I have news for you, people don't want that, the Germans are proving that now.

>>He’s just seen how ULEZ earned him a few votes in a by-election<<

You mean he's prepared to give the voters what they actually want ?

Isn't that called democracy ? Except in your authoritarian world.

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 2

We are entering electioneering  time. Sunak et al will say anything they think people want to hear and will win them votes. 

You can't believe a word of it. They'll do whatever they want as soon as they're in power, and what we want won't matter one jot.

Time to do a bit of research and look at their past record, their attitude and what they say when they think no one is listening.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I'm sorry but you are wrong, this is what he said :

“For too many years politicians in governments of all stripes have not been honest about costs and trade-offs," Sunak said in a statement. "Instead they have taken the easy way out, saying we can have it all.”

And he is spot on.

I heard the other day that about 60% of the hoped for reductions in CO2 will have to come from "behavioural changes".

The politicians don't mention that, or at least not in any detail. But what "behavioural changes" actually means is colder houses, less driving (if any at all if you are poor), less travel (particularly less flying), less consumption (i.e. people are expected to buy and live with less), more expensive food (particularly meat etc) etc etc.

I have news for you, people don't want that, the Germans are proving that now.

>>He’s just seen how ULEZ earned him a few votes in a by-election<<

You mean he's prepared top give the voters what they actually want?

Isn't that called democracy ? Except in your authoritarian world).

I see.  

We’re believing politicians now, are we.

38 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

3 minutes ago, Anna B said:

We are entering electioneering  time. Sunak et al will say anything they think people want to hear and will win them votes. 

You can't believe a word of it. They'll do whatever they want as soon as they're in power, and what we want won't matter one jot.

Time to do a bit of research and look at their past record, their attitude and what they say when they think no one is listening.

Exactly.  You have both hit the nail on the head and it's simply about  enhancing the Tories popularity before the next election.

Sunak and his government don't particularly care about anything except trying to cling onto power.

There will be many more attempts to gain favour like this one,   and I, for one,   have been fully expecting them.     We are not quite as daft as the so called "brainy boys" think we are.

It may blow up in his face yet,  because motor manufacturers are not happy about ever changing plans when they are spending millions,  trying to run a business and plan for the future.

I expect that the sales of electric cars will now take a nosedive again,  and the provision of charging points will get even slower.    So much for the UK  "world leaders"

25 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Whilst it's true that "politicians in governments of all stripes have not been honest about costs and trade-offs", the costs and trade-offs have always been 'the longer we leave it the bigger the costs and the bigger the trade-offs will be'. The easy way out they've taken is to not do it then, when it would have been cheaper and we could have done it over a long time, but leave it to others to do later - so we are left with needing to do it expensively and in a hurry. Sunak is just another PM trying to avoid being the one who does something about it.

9 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

It may blow up in his face yet,  because motor manufacturers are not happy about ever changing plans when they are spending millions,  trying to run a business and plan for the future.

I expect that the sales of electric cars will now take a nosedive again,  and the provision of charging points will get even slower.    So much for the UK  "world leaders"

You forgot 'and the factories will be built elsewhere'.

• Like 2

As someone who hasn't got 15 grand for a heat pump or another few grand for an electric car and another headache about not having a drive to charge it on  , im delighted to hear this news. Im all for cleaner air in principle but not at the pace and price that  it costs at the moment , i along with many other normal working people just cant afford it, and before someone mentions walking cycling or catching a bus , i do all of that as well , but i like to drive , my car has taken me to many places in a short amount of time that no bus or cycle bike or walking could even do.    

• Like 2