Sunak : Nett Zero But In A 'More Proportionate' Way

We need to remember how far things have come in the last 10 years.  Heat Pumps weren't really a thing, ground source existed but mostly for commercial use.  Now domestic air source units, while expensive and with some caveats, are at least a viable domestic option.

The only real electric car around 10 years ago was the 1st generation Nissan Leaf, and it was a pig.  Plus the charging network was vanishingly small.  Now there are multiple options from most manufacturers, and fast charge networks are growing at an impressive rate.  Tesla especially have installed a great number in a short time.

Yeh, I'm not quite ready, I'll put it off for a year, another year... Oh! carbon dioxide levels have gone up "unexpectedly" and I'm sitting in 45 degree heat which has killed thousands. 
Maybe I should have done something sooner. 
Sunak better get some balls, he's the flipping prime minister sleepwalking us into a hole where there is no return.

I will not condemn anyone for using demonstations, time wasting, road blocks, paint splashes in order bring attention to rising CO2 and pollution levels but I will not be taking part until my responsibilites are complete.

Edited by Findlay

17 minutes ago, master jedi said:

As someone who hasn't got 15 grand for a heat pump or another few grand for an electric car and another headache about not having a drive to charge it on  , im delighted to hear this news. Im all for cleaner air in principle but not at the pace and price that  it costs at the moment , i along with many other normal working people just cant afford it, and before someone mentions walking cycling or catching a bus , i do all of that as well , but i like to drive , my car has taken me to many places in a short amount of time that no bus or cycle bike or walking could even do.    

Although I am a climate change believer and so am on the other side,   there's nothing wrong with your argument there.

The main problem is consecutive governments ignoring the need to take action and leaving it to the next lot  ( which Sunak now wants to do ).  They have had 30 years to make a start on this.

The later it is before real action is taken,  means that the action then has to be much more severe.

20 minutes ago, geared said:

We need to remember how far things have come in the last 10 years.  Heat Pumps weren't really a thing, ground source existed but mostly for commercial use.  Now domestic air source units, while expensive and with some caveats, are at least a viable domestic option.

The only real electric car around 10 years ago was the 1st generation Nissan Leaf, and it was a pig.  Plus the charging network was vanishingly small.  Now there are multiple options from most manufacturers, and fast charge networks are growing at an impressive rate.  Tesla especially have installed a great number in a short time.

Heat pumps are not moving on and are not an adequate measure for many households.

Most countries were too late in taking an interest in electric cars,  especially us.

Our "fast charge networks"  are a disgrace compared with many other countries.

The multiple options, electric car wise,  are still far too expensive and still present too many problems for general use.

Everything has been left until the last minute   -   most especially in the UK  whereas China has really forged ahead and electric buses are in common use  there too.

If electric cars were cheaper and were selling much quicker,  our infrastructure would never cope,   and most of all,   all our electricity is not green.

Edited by Organgrinder

42 minutes ago, master jedi said:

As someone who hasn't got 15 grand for a heat pump or another few grand for an electric car and another headache about not having a drive to charge it on  , im delighted to hear this news. Im all for cleaner air in principle but not at the pace and price that  it costs at the moment , i along with many other normal working people just cant afford it, and before someone mentions walking cycling or catching a bus , i do all of that as well , but i like to drive , my car has taken me to many places in a short amount of time that no bus or cycle bike or walking could even do.    

I agree with you totally . But kicking this can down the road will likely cause bigger, more expensive problems.

I changed my car last year. I’d have bought an electric one if they were cheaper and if the infrastructure to charge them was properly established. Those things weren’t in place, so I bought a petrol car.

Creating the conditions for people to choose electric cars is a government thing and they need to crack on with it for all our sakes. Reducing it to yet another pawn in their game of culture war chess, really isn’t good enough.

3 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak is preparing to water down some of Britain’s climate commitments, saying the country must fight climate change without penalizing workers and consumers.

Sunak issued a late-night statement Tuesday in response to a BBC report saying the prime minister is considering extending deadlines for bans on new gasoline and diesel cars—currently due in 2030—and on new natural-gas home heating.

Sunak said that in a speech this week he will set out a “proportionate” approach to the environment. He did not set a date for the speech, which could come as early as Wednesday.

“For too many years politicians in governments of all stripes have not been honest about costs and trade-offs," Sunak said in a statement. "Instead they have taken the easy way out, saying we can have it all.”

https://time.com/6315892/uk-rishi-sunak-backtrack-climate-commitments/

At last, a bit of honesty....

To be honest we all have to be brave, I for one am sick of being stuck in traffic jams and I think something needs to be done.

I think, unless it is an electric car, all cars registered before March 2021 should be scrapped

Edited by rogets

1 minute ago, rogets said:

To be honest we all have to be brave, I for one am sick of being stuck in traffic jams and I think something needs to be done.

I think, unless it is an electric car, all cars registered before March 2021 should be scrapped

I think all trolls should too.

2 hours ago, Prettytom said:

I see.  

We’re believing politicians now, are we.

Politicians make promises they find they can't actually keep because they discover they haven't actually got enough money to carry them out.

This is different because being more pragmatic and flexible over "Nett Zero" will, err, actually save them (and us) money.

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1

48 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I agree with you totally . But kicking this can down the road will likely cause bigger, more expensive problems.

I changed my car last year. I’d have bought an electric one if they were cheaper and if the infrastructure to charge them was properly established. Those things weren’t in place, so I bought a petrol car.

Creating the conditions for people to choose electric cars is a government thing and they need to crack on with it for all our sakes. Reducing it to yet another pawn in their game of culture war chess, really isn’t good enough.

It's not consistent across the country either. London is way ahead in terms of charging points and infrastructure, also awash with frequent and diverse public transport systems. It really is another world down there. They should try living in the North for a while and see how the other half live. They have poured money into the south east and created a two tier country with  all the benefits going to the south and **** all left for everyone else. They really have no idea, and it's getting worse. 

The people won't get behind Nett Zero until they see more joined up thinking and a consistant plan which makes sense. Until then, forget it.  

Edited by Anna B

42 minutes ago, rogets said:

There speaks someone who either doesn't drive, or can afford an electric car.....

51 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Reducing it to yet another pawn in their game of culture war chess, really isn’t good enough.

Translation : the people may not want it but give it to them anyway, "we know best, it's for their own good".

Democracy is "flexible", well it is to authoritarians.

Edited by Chekhov