Sunak : Nett Zero But In A 'More Proportionate' Way

38 minutes ago, ads36 said:

and i'm the one being mocked for being middle-class!

You think that buying a new car makes you middle class ????

that's a strange thing to think.

I am working class and proud of it and I don't want to be middle class.  I buy whatever I want to buy which suits my purposes and lifestyle and that doesn't change my class at all.

I'm one of the "    Nah then thee,  are thy  alreight"   class, and will proudly stay that way until I die.

12 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Jack is currently fully engaged in his swim from “Italy” to “Florida”

What's your point?

If you're gonna have a dig at me then make it clear WTF you mean 

12 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

You think that buying a new car makes you middle class ????

that's a strange thing to think.

I am working class and proud of it and I don't want to be middle class.  I buy whatever I want to buy which suits my purposes and lifestyle and that doesn't change my class at all.

I'm one of the "    Nah then thee,  are thy  alreight"   class, and will proudly stay that way until I die.

What's working class? 

12 hours ago, Prettytom said:

>>Prettytom said: Reducing it to yet another pawn in their game of culture war chess, really isn’t good enough.<<

I just thought that I’d republish  my full post. The one before Checkers decided to lie about it translate it.

I think that my English is clear enough. And that it is a million miles away from the lies that Checkers invented to support his own narrative.

No it is not "clear enough" at all.

Let me ask you  a straight question, do you think the people should be given a genuine choice (at the ballot box) as to what happens over Nett Zero ? Something which will have an affect on their lives so massive it will make Brexit seem like a walk in the park.

2 hours ago, Prettytom said:

For those of you who are interested in this sort of thing, the article below has some interesting perspectives in it. None of it is made up, “translated”, or otherwise messed around with by unscrupulous people.

It is from the Times though, so you might hit a paywall. 

How far is the UK from net zero — and what needs to change?

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/9c69ecfa-57c5-11ee-aed5-2d6419a1ef3d?shareToken=3e1138ce8ccc90ecc5406e96167fa33d

From your article :

The government had been proposing a ban on letting properties with energy performance certificate (EPC) ratings of below C by 2028, however, these plans have been scrapped, with households instead “encouraged to do so where they can”. Currently, the average home has a D rating, according to the mortgage analyst Dashly. It said that the average cost of getting it up to a C, which might include things like adding cavity wall insulation or installing condensing boilers, was roughly £14,000.

I have  a question for you, and others, which I never got answered in the rented property thread.

If a landlord if forced to spend thousands of pounds on his properties to increase their energy efficiency and therefore save the tenants money, should ne be legally entitled to put up the rent by an additional amount to recoup his investment ?

Yes or no ?

And if no, why not ?

2 hours ago, Prettytom said:

More from your article :

The Climate Change Committee watchdog has warned that policies to encourage people to cut down on meat and switch to a more sustainable diet are needed to hit reduction targets.

Exactly what I said, people will have to make "behavioural changes", including being 'encouraged' by taxation (or worse....), to eat less meat, or even none at all.

Edited by Chekhov

3 hours ago, Prettytom said:

More from your article :

On current trends, the number of flights taken in the UK is due to rise by 50 per cent by 2050, but the committee advised this must be halved to a 25 per cent increase to stay within the zero-carbon target. 

Exactly what I have been saying for years.

More "behavioural change" required. We will put up the cost of your flights, and may even ration how often you can fly.

2 hours ago, ads36 said:

>>Chekhov said:  An electric car will cost you a lot more than "a few grand".....<<

only if you insist on buying a new car.

The government are trying to force us all to.

Edited by Chekhov

2 hours ago, ads36 said:

my sister has a heat pump, it's great!  and they live in a rickety old railway cottage - they've improved the insulation a bit, but *far* from 100%

Funny that, loads of people report the opposite...

Tell me, how warm to the radiators get ?

What temperature does she have her heating set on in her house ?

>> rickety old railway cottage<<

Most railway building were made a lot better than some of the crap they throw up these days. They may be "energy efficient" but I doubt many of the prefabs they're trying to encourage us to build these days will still be up in 100 years.

51 minutes ago, ads36 said:

our houses are badly insulated - and we've passed laws to jail anyone who mentions it.

Insulating homes will help, but will not make  a massive difference, it will not, for instance, fully compensate for the massive rise in energy costs. People who say it will, or even imply it will, are talking rubbish.

As an example our house has loads of insulation both in the loft and in the cavity walls. It was built in the 1970s so the bricks have voids in them (bad for wall anchors but good for insulation....) and the front - where the living room is located and the side with half of the house windows - has an unobstructed view south (i.e. good for "solar gain").  Even more significantly it has a 3.6kW solar system in perfect unobstructed alignment with the sun, the excess power heats the hot water and anything above that is exported to reduce our leccy bills. What's more pretty much all the lighting is by LED bulbs and the house is fully double glazed, it is draught proofed, has a porch, all the radiators have thermostatic valves, we only have the heating on about 4 hours a day in the winter (a bit more at weekends) and the overall thermostat is set to only 19 degrees.

Despite all of that our gas/elec bill has just gone up to about £2000 a year......

Edited by Chekhov

1 minute ago, ads36 said:

do you have any evidence to support this extraordinary claim [that the government are trying to force us all to buy electric cars] ?

Are you joking ?

I'll assume you do actually want a reply.

Well they're trying to outlaw the sales of new petrol and diesel cars from 2030 (hopefully 2035 now).

• Like 1