The Decline In Pubs On London Road

GoldenAleLad

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/09/2023 at 18:19, GoldenAleLad said:

the Barrel Inn still sadly closed - is this a permanent thing as the outside of it looks a bit rough now ?

An planning application has just gone in for the Barrel Inn this week but it is for a change of use so may not remain as a traditional-ish pub that it has been before. 'Cocktail bar and takeaway restaurant' are the words used.

23/03253/FUL | Change of use of ground floor from drinking establishment to cocktail bar and takeaway restaurant (Sui Generis) | The Barrel Inn 123 London Road Sheffield S2 4LE

On 21/10/2023 at 09:49, Baron99 said:

The London Rd area sadly might have seen a decline in pubs in recent years but Abbeydale Rd is thriving. 

Jabberwocky (technically London Rd) 

The Bear

Rumkeg876

Dead Donkey 

Turner's Beer Shop / Tap Room

Over The Yardarm 

Glass Frog

Abbeydale Tap

Barrowboy

Two Thirds 

The Teller

Gin Place 

The Broadfield

I see these establishments as bars rather than pubs. 

Abbeydale Road - from the Royal Hotel to the Broadfield was some distance without a pub.

Chesterfield Road - from the Red Lion/ White Lion/ Crown all the way to the Chantrey / the Woodseats was another lengthy walk.

1 hour ago, abbeyedges said:

I see these establishments as bars rather than pubs. 

Abbeydale Road - from the Royal Hotel to the Broadfield was some distance without a pub.

Chesterfield Road - from the Red Lion/ White Lion/ Crown all the way to the Chantrey / the Woodseats was another lengthy walk.

I agree , bars not pubs :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Not necessarily  a bad thing (given that pubs are nowadays often ruined/dominated by Gob****es lacking any functional volume control) but I'd expect that any surviving licensed estalishments will be swiftly closed down due to our future rulers' attiude to alcohol. Ignoring of course that many of their "young chaps" clearly enjoy the odd (given the amount of discarded bottles/canisters) bottle of vodka to accompany their (now illegal) nitrous oxide.

Each to their own I suppose - but please don't leave your abandoned bottles/canisters as litter.

I think there has been a general decline in pubs in the UK starting in the late 1970's / early 1980's.   In my opinion greedy Breweries were to blame,  driving out good Landlords who only ever wanted to make a decent living and look after their customers.

14 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I agree , bars not pubs :thumbsup:

Interesting .. what is the difference between a bar and a pub ....

Well one thing in common, they all sell alcohol !

In my mind, traditional pubs have wider choice of ales, pork scratchings and scampi and bacon, people flogging things, juke boxes, the gents doesn't have to be clean or have mirrors, dogs and children are allowed ...

Bars do cocktails, are very expensive, full of arty hipster people,  and may do expensive food snacks too. They normally ban the aforementioned list of things that pubs allow.... 🙂