Crooning

cuttsie

25 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Mostly local,  extending to the Lincolnshire coast.

Solo entertainer on either Organ or Keyboards and 50% of time playing to  guest singers.

Most of my friends were in the same business and sometimes helped each other out.

Sounds quality that.

👍

1 hour ago, cressida said:

Crooning,  not my cup of tea,  prefer Motown anything uplifting really.

Same here Cressy,  Motown was my era.

I don't like Sinatra, don't like Bing Crosby or Sammy Davies Jr but I do think Tony Bennett and Andy Williams had nice voices.

Edited by francypants

4 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Michael Buble is probably the closest you are going to get to that style of singer now.

Cuttsie has only mentioned male singers, but  if you include female singers then Weyes Blood is quite close in feel to an older style. Something of the Karen Carpenter about her, with lots of strings.

• Like 1

I took all the Motown records that were left behind in the house,   anything lively as I can't stand slow, repetitive, smoochy type music,  that's why I was thrilled when New Kids on the Block arrived in the UK  (Jordan Knight particularly)  then Take That copied them and it led to a whole lot of boy bands - never bought into them.

5 hours ago, cressida said:

I took all the Motown records that were left behind in the house,   anything lively as I can't stand slow, repetitive, smoochy type music,  that's why I was thrilled when New Kids on the Block arrived in the UK  (Jordan Knight particularly)  then Take That copied them and it led to a whole lot of boy bands - never bought into them.

Agree with you about Motown Cressida and francypants. There's nothing better to get you up on the dance floor, is there?

My taste in music is eclectic, I even like big bands such as Glen Miller, I  suppose it's nostalgic, but my favourite period without a doubt is from the mid '50s to the early 70's. Teenagers were a new social class and they created a revolution in music, fashion and ideas. I was a very small part of that movement in my formative years, like many on this forum. Ah, the memories!

echo

• Like 1