Silver Spooners

35 minutes ago, Mister M said:

To be fair Ben Fogle is an excellent presenter, and the programmes I've seen him do on explorations in a variety of wildernesses have always been good.

I'll second that.  Ben's a great bloke,  very genuine and caring and a lover of nature  and animals.

3 hours ago, cressida said:

Her sister Sophie married into the aristocracy  (I'm high born as I was born in Buxton)😉

Lovely neck of the woods, Cressida.

'But you were lucky. As a Yorkshire lad I lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. I used to have to get up at 6 in a morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t'pit, fourteen hours a day, week in, week out, for sixpence a week and when I got home Dad would thrash me to sleep wi his belt!'

But seriously, I spent a week in Buxton on a residential course whilst studying a P/G diploma in Sheffield 55 years ago. Can't for the life of me recall the exact name of the hotel we stayed in but I get the feeling 'George' was in the title somewhere.

Last year, whilst spending a long weekend at the Shrigley Hall hotel I made sure one day was spent on a return visit.

Not a lot seems to have changed; still a beautiful place; the Baths, the Crescent, the Opera House and the Pavilion Gardens even the drive over the Woodhead Pass, all as  I remember them.

echo

Edited by echo beach
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Don't drag Liza Tarbuck into this ffs, her Radio 2 show on a Saturday evening is a delight.  Stuff you haven't heard for years played on there too. 

Liza Tarbuck is a decent actress.  A few other regularly quoted examples might have had their way eased into their chosen profession, but would likely have shone anyway: Samuel West, Sofia Coppola (perhaps not in acting, though), Nicolas Cage, George Clooney etc. 

Others perhaps not; some of the actress/model/whatever offspring of supermodels and Hollywood stars aren't that special beyond their brand name, and the elder Beckham kid didn't find his niche - despite parent-financed and promoted adventures in photography and cooking - until he married a heiress.

If you want to be concerned about forms of nepotism, think about the bright children of working class parents who although were able to match their privately-funded peers on essential academic attainment to potentially access careers in medicine and law, for example, but who lacked the parental network of contacts, influence and finance required to ease their way into the extra-curricular activities and work experience necessary to secure a seat at the table. 

9 hours ago, echo beach said:

Lovely neck of the woods, Cressida.

'But you were lucky. As a Yorkshire lad I lived for three months in a paper bag in a septic tank. I used to have to get up at 6 in a morning, clean the paper bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down t'pit, fourteen hours a day, week in, week out, for sixpence a week and when I got home Dad would thrash me to sleep wi his belt!'

But seriously, I spent a week in Buxton on a residential course whilst studying a P/G diploma in Sheffield 55 years ago. Can't for the life of me recall the exact name of the hotel we stayed in but I get the feeling 'George' was in the title somewhere.

Last year, whilst spending a long weekend at the Shrigley Hall hotel I made sure one day was spent on a return visit.

Not a lot seems to have changed; still a beautiful place; the Baths, the Crescent, the Opera House and the Pavilion Gardens even the drive over the Woodhead Pass, all as  I remember them.

echo

From Sheffield to Buxton , over the Woodhead ?

3 hours ago, Hecate said:

Liza Tarbuck is a decent actress.  A few other regularly quoted examples might have had their way eased into their chosen profession, but would likely have shone anyway: Samuel West, Sofia Coppola (perhaps not in acting, though), Nicolas Cage, George Clooney etc. 

Others perhaps not; some of the actress/model/whatever offspring of supermodels and Hollywood stars aren't that special beyond their brand name, and the elder Beckham kid didn't find his niche - despite parent-financed and promoted adventures in photography and cooking - until he married a heiress.

If you want to be concerned about forms of nepotism, think about the bright children of working class parents who although were able to match their privately-funded peers on essential academic attainment to potentially access careers in medicine and law, for example, but who lacked the parental network of contacts, influence and finance required to ease their way into the extra-curricular activities and work experience necessary to secure a seat at the table. 

Yes getting invited to the party seems to be how the system works .

1 hour ago, cuttsie said:

From Sheffield to Buxton , over the Woodhead ?

Yes getting invited to the party seems to be how the system works .

No cuttsie I haven't lived in Sheffield for over 50 years.

I was travelling from North Yorkshire to the Shrigley Hall hotel in Cheshire. Down the A1, across to Barnsley and then over the A628 Woodhead Pass to Glossop and Whaley Bridge. Had a day trip to Buxton from the hotel.

I know before the M62 was built the A57 Snake Pass was the preferred route from Sheffield to Lancashire or the 'Dark Side' as we call it!

echo.

1 hour ago, echo beach said:

No cuttsie I haven't lived in Sheffield for over 50 years.

I was travelling from North Yorkshire to the Shrigley Hall hotel in Cheshire. Down the A1, across to Barnsley and then over the A628 Woodhead Pass to Glossop and Whaley Bridge. Had a day trip to Buxton from the hotel.

I know before the M62 was built the A57 Snake Pass was the preferred route from Sheffield to Lancashire or the 'Dark Side' as we call it!

echo.

Cheers , From where I live in the far north of Sheffield getting to Buxton or Matlock is a night mare , I can get to the East coast nearly as quickly . 

16 hours ago, Mister M said:

To be fair Ben Fogle is an excellent presenter, and the programmes I've seen him do on explorations in a variety of wildernesses have always been good.

15 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I'll second that.  Ben's a great bloke,  very genuine and caring and a lover of nature  and animals.

Yes I agree with you both about Ben Fogle he is a good presenter.