Sheffield Council Faces Mass Equal Pay Claim Over Job Evaluation Scheme

Mister M

2 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

The relevant point to me is why are some jobs male dominated and others female.

The jobs we are speaking about will be open to male and female applicants.

Without any evidence whatsoever, I would say men are more likely to apply for the job of "caretaker", and women are more likely to apply for the job of "cleaner".   Therefore it stands to reason more men will be accepted for the role of caretaker than woman are, and vice versa for the cleaner role.

Nothing sexist there, its just how it is, some jobs will clearly attract one gender over another, its the case everywhere.

Edited by HeHasRisen

5 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Without any evidence whatsoever, I would say men are more likely to apply for the job of "caretaker", and women are more likely to apply for the job of "cleaner".   Therefore it stands to reason more men will be accepted for the role of caretaker than woman are, and vice versa for the cleaner role.

Nothing sexist there, its just how it is, some jobs will clearly attract one gender over another, its the case everywhere.

No offence like, but I don't think I'd be coming to you if I had an employment law matter I needed advice on 😊

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Delbow said:

No offence like, but I don't think I'd be coming to you if I had an employment law matter I needed advice on 😊

I am only suggesting one gender are more likely to APPLY for certain jobs than others, hardly a groundbreaking revelation now is it? 

We have a few cleaners at our office, none of them are male. And all the caretakers I am aware of are...male. I know this is a small sample size.

Edited by HeHasRisen

As an aside, through the magic of Google I found a SCC Caretaker job spec

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2022-09/jd_220923-000175_0.pdf

Looks to be dated September 2022 from the file name, so quite up to date.

And here is one for a cleaner, dated April 2023

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/sites/default/files/2023-04/cleaner_job_description_4d11.pdf

There are very obvious differences between the two.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

I am only suggesting one gender are more likely to APPLY for certain jobs than others, hardly a groundbreaking revelation now is it? 

We have a few cleaners at our office, none of them are male. And all the caretakers I am aware of are...male. I know this is a small sample size.

It's like when you get the ultra-feminists taking gender studies courses at uni where they claim sexism in STEM... maybe if they studied a STEM subject there'd be more women in those sectors!

Nothing like making a choice and then whingeing about representation that they could have affected.

4 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

I would guess that a care takers role is more full-time/longer hours.

Whereas a cleaning job can be more flexible, with potentially shorter hours. This would enable this job to be fitted in around other responsibilities, such as child care or caring for other family members. 

58 minutes ago, S35_2o21 said:

I would guess that a care takers role is more full-time/longer hours.

Whereas a cleaning job can be more flexible, with potentially shorter hours. This would enable this job to be fitted in around other responsibilities, such as child care or caring for other family members. 

Indeed. And none of that amounts to sexism.

• Like 1