Why Are Extremist Environmentalists So Inconsistent ?

8 hours ago, leviathan13 said:

You do realise that if the UK disappeared tomorrow, it would have practically zero effect on improving the climate, such is the size of our tiny corner of the world.

I'd love to know how you with your bag for life and energy saving lightbulb are going to stop the supposed apocalypse. I take it you'll be disposing of all the tech and oil-based products in your house, for starters?

Hypocrites the lot of them

So they expect us all to sacrifice so they can keep their luxuries 

Edited by Jack Grey

43 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Noting the previous post,  it would be a good idea to ban posters who come on here to act daft instead of addressing the subject.

Depends if they're amusing.

19 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

If you are going to slag someone off at least have the decency to tag them in so they can see.

@Chekhov

I never sleep (not that well these days anyway) TD, so it can't be anything to do with me !

49 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

I think that you’d do well to check out what scientists do. And how science progresses. And what science actually is.

Then you might be able to make some informed posts on threads like these, instead of hawking homespun nonsense and dodgy maths.

In your opinion.

Just out of interest, what's more important, wading birds, or the "climate emergency" ?

Edited by Chekhov
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

If you are going to slag someone off at least have the decency to tag them in so they can see.

@Chekhov

Presumably doesn't apply to people whose posts you like.

https://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/topic/485420-new-covid-variant-leads-to-scientists-demanding-rules-from-lockdown-reimposed/page/111/?tab=comments#comment-8725233

6 minutes ago, Longcol said:

You liked a post slagging people off -but didn't ask the poster to have the decency to copy them into @(whatever) so they could see.

Does that even work?

Delayed said

"And I imagine the reason you log online around this time is so the forum is less busy and your bollards is shown unanswered for longer."

Tops reply

"I'm quite happy that many don't agree, shows how many have been fooled, they agree with you as you spout the same garbage.

I log online at this time because I actually work during the day and do like to do other things in an evening than argue with Government shills."

Who did Tops slag off?

Who should he have tagged in? 

Why is my liking of a post that's giving stick Back to someone the same in any measurable way? 

Edited by The_DADDY

1 hour ago, Organgrinder said:

Would you care to define who or what you are referring to ?      Climate Change believers,  Climate Change Unbelievers,  Government.   And then maybe we could debate it.

The best start is to get all your info from a reliable news source like BBC or Sky and then look for a reliable name like Attenborough for instance.  David will tell you no lies.

If you're going to say "They all fly on jet planes",   Yes they do,  but so does everyone at the top and I agree that they should all know better.

No need to manipulate anybody   -   people always split into 2 camps and rarely  can they be persuaded otherwise.  Just make your choice and stick because it won't make much difference.

We have been putting it off for 30 years and we still keep delaying now and so do countries  like China so it's safe to assume that we will be  too late to make a difference.

And no the world won't end.        It won't be the end of the world  at all,   just the end of most of the wild life and the end of the human race.  When we are gone,  the planet will recover  over time.

Ah, so you've spotted my dilemma. The truth is I really don't know, added to the fact that I no longer trust anybody, and dislike extremists of any persuasion...  but I do believe we need to clean up our mess, consume less, and deal with pollution.

Yes the climate seems to be changing. But is it a natural phenomenon or man made? I don't know. I've read lots of stuff on both sides from a variety of sources, all equally convincing until you read something that contradicts it, and keep changing my mind. Added to which my personal experience is that our media loves to catastrophise everything. 

Statistics, graphs etc depend on interpretation and perspective. And even scientists don't agree. They are also wrong more often than they care to admit.

I agree that David Attenborough is worth listening to, he's seen the problems first hand, but that only confirms that climates are changing which we probably all agree on. But is subject to the same scientific tropes as the rest of us.

My biggest grouse is with the government who simply seem to enjoy scaring everyone, (and it does make people more compliant, a proven psychological fact.) Yet governments seem woefully incompetent in doing anything about it. There is quite simply no joined up thinking or consistency, in fact some of the measures are demonstrably making it worse. Surely if they were serious we would have a cross party cabinet almost on a war footing dealing with it.

And politicos are the most reluctant to practice what they preach, assuming that they are a special case and can therefore do what they like with impunity. It's easy to pontificate for everyone else as long as it doesn't affect you personally.

And along with everything else that is happening, do you really think the current shower wouldn't try to use it, and turn it to their advantage?

Edited by Anna B

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Ah, so you've spotted my dilemma. The truth is I really don't know, added to the fact that I no longer trust anybody, and dislike extremists of any persuasion...  but I do believe we need to clean up our mess, consume less, and deal with pollution.

Yes the climate seems to be changing. But is it a natural phenomenon or man made? I don't know. I've read lots of stuff on both sides from a variety of sources, all equally convincing until you read something that contradicts it, and keep changing my mind. Added to which my personal experience is that our media loves to catastrophise everything. 

Statistics, graphs etc depend on interpretation and perspective. And even scientists don't agree. They are also wrong more often than they care to admit.

I agree that David Attenborough is worth listening to, he's seen the problems first hand, but that only confirms that climates are changing which we probably all agree on. But is subject to the same scientific tropes as the rest of us.

My biggest grouse is with the government who simply seem to enjoy scaring everyone, (and it does make people more compliant, a proven psychological fact.) Yet governments seem woefully incompetent in doing anything about it. There is quite simply no joined up thinking or consistency, in fact some of the measures are demonstrably making it worse. Surely if they were serious we would have a cross party cabinet almost on a war footing dealing with it.

And politicos are the most reluctant to practice what they preach, assuming that they are a special case and can therefore do what they like with impunity. It's easy to pontificate for everyone else as long as it doesn't affect you personally.

And along with everything else that is happening, do you really think the current shower wouldn't try to use it, and turn it to their advantage?

All that , just to have a last line dig at the Tories. :rolleyes: . Sad .

1 minute ago, hackey lad said:

All that , just to have a last line dig at the Tories. :rolleyes: . Sad .

Only the last line was about the Tories.  the rest was probably too hard for you to understand.