Christ Really Was Right, The Meek Shall Inherit The Earth (By Order).

On 10/10/2023 at 13:09, Anna B said:

Good manners no longer seem to be taught as they used to be  to children  in a way that should instil them into the psyche and last for life. At root 'good manners' are simply consideration for others, and that requires a degree of empathy; - also missing in the modern world.

What with tech, mobile phones, different platforms etc, clear, considerate, face to face Communication seems to be a dying art. Sheffield Forum is a perfect example of the level of unpleasantness and pure bile some people will slip into very quickly on line, and that translates into the real world too and becomes a habit.

I also think the sheer frustration of trying to live in a broken modern world that is relying more and more on faulty apps and AI etc isn't helping.  I've spent two hours this morning trying to deal with a  fairly simple problem that a quick phone call could have sorted it in minutes. And believe me, I was ready to scream at someone by the end of it (but I didn't, tho' I'm ashamed to say I have in the past.) 

Our mental health is shot. A lot of people are on a very short fuse. And IMO some people are over sensitive, and offended because they're being told they should be offended without understanding the deeper issues.

You don't have to be religious to think Jesus' teachings were sound, and if adhered to, would help solve a lot of the world's problems 

Who could disagree with the above ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 27/09/2023 at 18:20, Delayed said:

JC also taught us all to Love Thy a neighbour as oneself. 

So he’d probably be in favour of the stance by John Lewis

Well no you're wrong actually because that edict "we have zero tolerance to abuse", if it's taken to the Nth degree (which is sometimes is by virtue signalling managers), is to  a large extent, about people's differing personalities.

In a wider sense, whilst society is priding itself on becoming more tolerant about stuff like trans people, or gay people, or "unusual family units", it is actually becoming less tolerant about people's personalities that it deems "unacceptable", e.g. people who are naturally loud, or controversial, or question rules, or are insensitive, or excitable, or people who just get annoyed or angry easily (but are not violent), or people who are just tactile for that matter.  Any of people with one or more of those personality traits could be considered "abusive" by an over sensitive type.

50 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Well no you're wrong actually because that edict "we have zero tolerance to abuse", if it's taken to the Nth degree (which is sometimes is by virtue signalling managers), is to  a large extent, about people's differing personalities.

In a wider sense, whilst society is priding itself on becoming more tolerant about stuff like trans people, or gay people, or "unusual family units", it is actually becoming less tolerant about people's personalities that it deems "unacceptable", e.g. people who are naturally loud, or controversial, or question rules, or are insensitive, or excitable, or people who just get annoyed or angry easily (but are not violent), or people who are just tactile for that matter.  Any of people with one or more of those personality traits could be considered "abusive" by an over sensitive type.

Well Ive asked around and everyone agrees with me so you're wrong

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

Tell us more about these over sensitive types.

Do they over-react to trivial issues?

1 hour ago, Delayed said:

Well Ive asked around and everyone agrees with me so you're wrong

Well I don't disagree. Neither do I agree entirely. And that's the thing about people , they come in all shapes and sizes, with different personalities and different opinions. It's called 'being human.'

I agree with Chekhov when he says we are actually becoming less tolerant as a society whilst making a grand gesture of showing tolerance to myriad minority groups.

IMO We're not mixing as much since the Pandemic, as much has gone online, and the echo chamber algorithm of social media feedback is encouraging people's personal prejudices and making them think their ideas and opinions must be mainstream. They're not, but it can lead to misunderstandings and much unpleasantness. You only have to look at some of the meanness expressed on this forum...  

Lately I have encountered quite a lot of people fearing the future unlike anything I have  experienced in the past, and sadly some in absolute despair. Maybe it is time we seriously considered the wisdom of the ancient teachings of the Bible, and put our faith in a higher power. It can't hurt...

Edited by Anna B

9 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Tell us more about these over sensitive types.

Do they over-react to trivial issues?

I want to hear more about those 'people who are just tactile'.  I have a list of synonyms I'd like to narrow down a bit.

10 hours ago, Anna B said:

...Maybe it is time we seriously considered the wisdom of the ancient teachings of the Bible, and put our faith in a higher power. It can't hurt...

If you want do that is fine, but before you attempt to impose your version of "...the wisdom of the ancient(s) ..." on us you might tell us which version of the bible are you selecting for us.

15 hours ago, Anna B said:

....Maybe it is time we seriously considered the wisdom of the ancient teachings of the Bible, and put our faith in a higher power. It can't hurt...

Are you having a laugh?  Religious doctrines and tribal followings of some 'higher power' is the foremost catalyst in most of the endless global conflicts this planet is suffering.

It can and does hurt millions of people.

If you feel some comfort and guiding from your book of fairy tales and leading from a mythical sky being that's up to you, but it certainly ain't something I'll be joining in. 

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Are you having a laugh?  Religious doctrines and tribal followings of some 'higher power' is the foremost catalyst in most of the endless global conflicts this planet is suffering.

It can and does hurt millions of people.

If you feel some comfort and guiding from your book of fairy tales and leading from a mythical sky being that's up to you, but it certainly ain't something I'll be joining in. 

'Religion' is man made, and flawed. It's that that causes the trouble, not believing in a divine power.

Religion is a power trip (by men) over other people, nothing more. And forcing any sort of views on other people in the name of 'God' is wrong. Prayer on the other hand is a personal connection to a 'higher power,' which you may or may not believe in, but can't do any harm and might  do good. 

I think people are looking for that connection and need it. Call it positive vibrations if you like, call it meditating, or searching for meaning, or philosophy or another 'dimension,' Call it anything you like, but don't call it Religion. 

IMO I think it helps, and we have become the poorer for not including it in our lives.  

Edited by Anna B
  • Like 1