Ukraine In World War Two .

Just listened to a play on radio 4 about the Ukrainians in World war two and it was not good listening as many seemingly welcomed the Nazi's into the Country and took a big part into helping with the rounding up , killing and sending the Jews to the extermination camps .

Russia still remembers this cooperation with the Nazi's and many in Russia hold a grudge to this day , 

So just another thought on the present day situation where recent history is still engrained in Russian minds .

Not saying this is a excuse for the present war  of course 

Yeah, in the past..

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-66919862

An invitation to parliament for a Ukrainian man who fought for a Nazi unit in World War Two is "deeply embarrassing" to Canada, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says.

Yaroslav Hunka, 98, got a standing ovation after House of Commons Speaker Anthony Rota called him a "hero" during a Friday visit by Ukraine's president.

Mr Rota has said he did not know of Mr Hunka's Nazi ties and made a mistake in inviting him to attend the event.

Oopsie 🙄

Also in the past....

Screenshot-20230928-180251.jpg

16473697034895.jpg

Getty-Images-1207144800-Azov-Neo-Nazi-Uk

Apparently 🙄

Edited by The_DADDY

I've had at least 10 Ukrainian cars pull up next to mine whilst out shopping in supermarkets and malls asking me for money this past week. The irony being that their cars are worth more than double and mine is not too shabby.  They do love a blacked out shiney 4x4.  They usually zoom off when I ask them if they can help me out for petrol money.

This is not in Sheffield by the way, in Romania and Bulgaria.

Edited by Al Bundy

1 hour ago, prince al said:

Good point. During WW2 many  countries welcomed the Nazis. 

Yes,  we almost did  too.

Our Home Guard wouldn't have stopped the German Army,   and the Battle of Britain  was very,  very close.

We would have had to do the same as the French and co-operate whilst fighting as a Resistance movement.

Amazing  how a few months of history can change the course of all Europe's future.