MacHete Incident At Sheffield School

26 minutes ago, leggy_lydz said:

Far from it.   This was an actual situation.  Worse than what has been reported here:-

https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/news/local-news/forge-valley-school-statement-after-27832095

0_school-lockdown-sheffieldJPG.jpg

The truth of the matter is that it was believe a terrorist attack was in place, and many teachers misunderstood the alarm going off, and were attempting to evacuate the kids right into the area where the wood be knife-person would be.

It wasn't until some kids and other teachers shouted at them that it was a lockdown alarm and not an evacuation alarm that the flow of children outside of the school was stopped, and they were then told to get back in their classrooms and sit under their desks (look on tik tok for this, search "Forge valley lockdown" tiktok and you will find actual footage.

You then get told that the school classrooms cannot be locked, so they had to barricade with desks and chairs.

Also, there were three individuals, they only found one.  No wonder they didn't find the knife.

I'm not disputing that the school might have mishandled it, but you've given no evidence that there was anyone with a machete or any actual risk to the kids. It looks to have been just a rumour. 

Out of interest, what training do teachers have in protecting the safety of students? Are they all trained in first aid or is it like any large businesses where there is one qualified first aider on site at any one time? Are they trained in security threat incidents like this? Is there any additional training that sets them apart from the average child minder? Their role is to educate but they are effectively the carer for 30 children for 36 days a week. Is that what the PETALS course covers, or is there some sort of specific safeguarding course?

4 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

Out of interest, what training do teachers have in protecting the safety of students? Are they all trained in first aid or is it like any large businesses where there is one qualified first aider on site at any one time? Are they trained in security threat incidents like this? Is there any additional training that sets them apart from the average child minder? Their role is to educate but they are effectively the carer for 30 children for 36 days a week. Is that what the PETALS course covers, or is there some sort of specific safeguarding course?

Each school has a designated safeguarding lead who gets a lot of training and will share that with the staff in general. Each board of governors should also have someone who leads on safeguarding. The designated lead will have very regular contact with the local multi agency safeguarding hub (social services, police, NHS staff) - in any school of any size, there is probably at least one child at any given time who has a safeguarding plan due to concerns about their welfare when not in school. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I'm not disputing that the school might have mishandled it, but you've given no evidence that there was anyone with a machete or any actual risk to the kids. It looks to have been just a rumour. 

What planet are you on.

It's been reported, even the head teacher states that he knows the image isn't fake as it matches what the person apprehended was wearing.

It's not a rumour, it's a god damn fact.   IT HAPPENED!   

3 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Each school has a designated safeguarding lead who gets a lot of training and will share that with the staff in general. Each board of governors should also have someone who leads on safeguarding. The designated lead will have very regular contact with the local multi agency safeguarding hub (social services, police, NHS staff) - in any school of any size, there is probably at least one child at any given time who has a safeguarding plan due to concerns about their welfare when not in school. 

Again, also wrong.

Speak to the head teacher.   He clearly has stated that most of the staff were not au fait with the current policies.

Anyone claiming this is rumour is really not helping the situation.

2 minutes ago, leggy_lydz said:

What planet are you on.

It's been reported, even the head teacher states that he knows the image isn't fake as it matches what the person apprehended was wearing.

It's not a rumour, it's a god damn fact.   IT HAPPENED!   

Again, also wrong.

Speak to the head teacher.   He clearly has stated that most of the staff were not au fait with the current policies.

Anyone claiming this is rumour is really not helping the situation.

You don't seem to know the difference between a fact and speculation. For a start, stating the obvious, the photo is of a silhouette so it's not possible to say what the person in the image is wearing other than 'trousers'. Also, 'it's been reported' is obviously not the same thing as something having actually happened. 

Show me evidence of the police and/or the school confirming they saw someone with a large knife on the premises and I'd start to take it seriously. The school will also have CCTV I'm sure - so where is the footage of this person with the knife on the school grounds? If the police were hunting for someone they believed had gone into the school with a large knife, I'm sure they'd be circulating the footage to try to identify the intruder.

Until then, this is just an unsubstantiated rumour.

4 minutes ago, Delbow said:

You don't seem to know the difference between a fact and speculation. For a start, stating the obvious, the photo is of a silhouette so it's not possible to say what the person in the image is wearing other than 'trousers'. Also, 'it's been reported' is obviously not the same thing as something having actually happened. 

Show me evidence of the police and/or the school confirming they saw someone with a large knife on the premises and I'd start to take it seriously. The school will also have CCTV I'm sure - so where is the footage of this person with the knife on the school grounds? If the police were hunting for someone they believed had gone into the school with a large knife, I'm sure they'd be circulating the footage to try to identify the intruder.

Until then, this is just an unsubstantiated rumour.

The head teacher has TOLD people this.

You don't seem to know you are not ALL KNOWING.

The head teacher has said he genuinely believes the photo is correct.   THIS IS FROM HIS OWN SCOTTISH MOUTH.

You are deliberately saying that things are not true that are.

WHY?

It's not a rumour.   It's FACT.

You have an agenda.   Ask Mr Barraclough, he will say everything I have said is the truth, although he will argue that his teachers did nothing wrong, which is not correct, he will then say they weren't trained recently enough, which again then will be fact.

You need to either back away from this argument that you don't know anything about, or arm yourself with the facts.

I tell you now, for the last time - you can find the facts at the mouth of the head teacher - EXACTLY as I have explained them here.   That's not rumour, and in a court of law would be listened to.

10 minutes ago, leggy_lydz said:

The head teacher has TOLD people this.

You don't seem to know you are not ALL KNOWING.

The head teacher has said he genuinely believes the photo is correct.   THIS IS FROM HIS OWN SCOTTISH MOUTH.

You are deliberately saying that things are not true that are.

WHY?

It's not a rumour.   It's FACT.

You have an agenda.   Ask Mr Barraclough, he will say everything I have said is the truth, although he will argue that his teachers did nothing wrong, which is not correct, he will then say they weren't trained recently enough, which again then will be fact.

You need to either back away from this argument that you don't know anything about, or arm yourself with the facts.

I tell you now, for the last time - you can find the facts at the mouth of the head teacher - EXACTLY as I have explained them here.   That's not rumour, and in a court of law would be listened to.

Yup, looks like a machete to me. That's a very scary situation for the kids and staff. 

5 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

Yup, looks like a machete to me. That's a very scary situation for the kids and staff. 

The incident maybe wasn't quite so serious in the end, thankfully, however the head teacher and police DO believe the image is true and matches the person that was initially arrested.  

That's not the main issue that a lot of parents have though, the school are being lauded as having done everything right.   This, sadly is not the truth.   If this was a nasty person really wishing to do harm, those teachers who misheard the alarm as an evacuation alarm would have lead those kids straight into an ambush.

There were also many different stances taken by teachers, some of whom allowed kids to text home, some who didn't, then some who initially did then stopped.   

The policy on the schools website suggested how parents would be contacted, they were not contact at all in that method, ever.   

Edited by leggy_lydz
type

5 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

This was the school I went to. It was called Myers Grove then, felt very safe at the time, was a lovely school all things considered. The stabbing of David Amess, the Liverpool stabbing of the child last year and personal experiences, like when a man had a knife in Sainsbury's whilst I was in there last year, all brings to a head the fact that there is a massive problem with knives, that is getting worse. The mainstream media seem more concerned I er a certain sycamore tree though. It's a mercy that no one was hurt in this incident.

• Confused 1

Just now, Irene Swaine said:

This was the school I went to. It was called Myers Grove then, felt very safe at the time, was a lovely school all things considered. The stabbing of David Amess, the Liverpool stabbing of the child last year and personal experiences, like when a man had a knife in Sainsbury's whilst I was in there last year, all brings to a head the fact that there is a massive problem with knives, that is getting worse. The mainstream media seem more concerned I er a certain sycamore tree though. It's a mercy that no one was hurt in this incident.

This school was built in 2011.   It's not the School you went to.