MacHete Incident At Sheffield School

4 hours ago, leggy_lydz said:

The head teacher has TOLD people this.

You don't seem to know you are not ALL KNOWING.

The head teacher has said he genuinely believes the photo is correct.   THIS IS FROM HIS OWN SCOTTISH MOUTH.

You are deliberately saying that things are not true that are.

WHY?

It's not a rumour.   It's FACT.

You have an agenda.   Ask Mr Barraclough, he will say everything I have said is the truth, although he will argue that his teachers did nothing wrong, which is not correct, he will then say they weren't trained recently enough, which again then will be fact.

You need to either back away from this argument that you don't know anything about, or arm yourself with the facts.

I tell you now, for the last time - you can find the facts at the mouth of the head teacher - EXACTLY as I have explained them here.   That's not rumour, and in a court of law would be listened to.

Where to start with this:

1.  You have said that it's fact that it happened as described because the head teacher has told you that in their opinion that's what happened. By definition, facts and opinions are not the same thing.

2.  You give the head's opinion as evidence but in the next sentence say that his opinion about how his staff responded can't be trusted.

3.  I am not saying things that are actually true are not true. I'm just exercising some skepticism. I'm not sure you know what that is.

4.  The police have said they were 'unable to corroborate' the reports. Obviously that doesn't prove that it didn't happen, but it also shows there is no evidence (rather than opinion) that it did happen. They didn't even have enough to arrest the girl who was searched, let alone charge anyone.

5.  The 'court of law' stuff is just a bit crackers.

6.  Using capital letters doesn't make things truer than if you use lower case letters.

Edited by Delbow
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Delbow said:

1.  You have said that it's fact that it happened as described because the head teacher has told you that in their opinion that's what happened. By definition, facts and opinions are not the same thing.

2.  You give the head's opinion as evidence but in the next sentence say that his opinion about how his staff responded can't be trusted.

3.  I am not saying things are not true that are true. I'm just exercising some skepticism. I'm not sure you know what that is.

4.  The police have said they were 'unable to corroborate' the reports. Obviously that doesn't prove that it didn't happen, but it also shows there is no evidence (rather than opinion) that it did happen. They didn't even have enough to arrest the girl who was searched, let alone charge anyone.

6.  Using capital letters doesn't make things truer than if you use lower case letters.

Why have you got a bee in your bonnet about this ?

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

Why have you got a bee in your bonnet about this ?

I wouldn't say I have a bee in my bonnet about this, I just think it's important that people are clear about what they do and don't know. Especially parents of secondary school age kids - one of the main jobs we have now is to help our kids be able to judge what might be trustworthy and what might be untrustworthy online. This is important because it's easy for kids to be exploited or abused or ripped off or duped by online content and that can be very harmful to them, so we need to be able to give them the tools to assess what is reliable and what isn't. Therefore, putting forward a vague photo plus someone's opinion as evidence of FACT isn't really good enough.

• Like 1

On 03/10/2023 at 23:56, Delbow said:

3.  I am not saying things that are actually true are not true. I'm just exercising some skepticism. I'm not sure you know what that is.

I'm sorry but when teachers, the head teacher are all saying this happened to any teacher that asked them, why are you saying it's misinformation?  What is your agenda?

1 minute ago, YourTech said:

I'm sorry but when teachers, the head teacher are all saying this happened to any teacher that asked them, why are you saying it's misinformation?  What is your agenda?

I don't have an agenda other than warning against rumour. It's the 'this happened' that I have an issue with. Something happened, but what is it specifically that you think happened?

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

I don't have an agenda other than warning against rumour. It's the 'this happened' that I have an issue with. Something happened, but what is it specifically that you think happened?

It is important that facts and not rumour are known about an incident as rumours can change in the telling and cause unnecessary fear and alarm in any situation.

13 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

It is important that facts and not rumour are known about an incident as rumours can change in the telling and cause unnecessary fear and alarm in any situation.

Yeah that's my point really. Obviously something triggered the response by the school and I'm sure that they, the kids and parents were worried. But there's a big difference between someone sending a threatening snap and three people entering or trying to enter the school with a machete. I don't know what happened, but there's no evidence as far as I can see of someone actually having a machete with the intent of harming a pupil. No-one was arrested, as claimed upthread, and no-one was found with a knife or a machete or sent to 'juvie'. If someone points me to evidence of any of these things being true then I'll change my mind accordingly, but I'm not going to just accept things as fact because someone says they 'were there'.

24 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Yeah that's my point really. Obviously something triggered the response by the school and I'm sure that they, the kids and parents were worried. But there's a big difference between someone sending a threatening snap and three people entering or trying to enter the school with a machete. I don't know what happened, but there's no evidence as far as I can see of someone actually having a machete with the intent of harming a pupil. No-one was arrested, as claimed upthread, and no-one was found with a knife or a machete or sent to 'juvie'. If someone points me to evidence of any of these things being true then I'll change my mind accordingly, but I'm not going to just accept things as fact because someone says they 'were there'.

Just a small addition but if several people view a situation in most probability they will all give different accounts of the situation.