Disgraceful Fans

PapaLazarou

1 minute ago, m williamson said:

Don't disagree with you, that's a reasonable point.  However, that wasn't what the debate was about, it was about Braverman being a racist. 

The fact that she stated publicly on more than one occasion that British-Pakistani men were mainly responsible when the data commissioned by the Home Office which she was in charge of didn't confirm that as a fact would indicate that she is.

She is obviously appealing to the far right wing of the Tory party and knows that using that hard-line approach will go down well.  

Using such a terrible situation as a political football isn't impressive in my opinion.

Maybe she’s racist, maybe she’s not. Only she actually knows, the rest is opinion. If she had said ‘disproportionately’ there are some that would still have seen it as evidence of racism even though it’s true.

I’m not sure why we’re talking about her (especially on this thread), she overplayed her hand and paid the price.

2 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

Maybe she’s racist, maybe she’s not. Only she actually knows, the rest is opinion. If she had said ‘disproportionately’ there are some that would still have seen it as evidence of racism even though it’s true.

I’m not sure why we’re talking about her (especially on this thread), she overplayed her hand and paid the price.

Agreed.  The racism charge came about because of her emphasising the Pakistani connection when she is of Indian background and the two countries don't exactly get along.

Anyway you're right it's the wrong thread so best left at that.

4 hours ago, Jim Hardie said:

You’re right, those stats show she was wrong to say ‘overwhelmingly’. She would have been on safer ground to have said ‘disproportionately’, seeing as the UK is 87.1% white, 7% Asian and 3% black.

You might wish to check those figures.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/peoplepopulationandcommunity/culturalidentity/ethnicity/bulletins/ethnicgroupenglandandwales/census2021

Edited by Prettytom

4 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

Probably.

The world has changed since then though. 

I’ve linked you to a more reliable and up to date source.

I was responding to a post that gave figures from 2015 so the 2011 census was the closest. 

Edited by Jim Hardie

4 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

I was responding to a post that gave figures from 2015 so the 2011 census was the closest. 

Maybe you were, but your answer is misleading.

I’ve given you the figures that are nearest to the current situation.

You could have found them yourself, with slightly more thorough research.

Edited by Prettytom

1 minute ago, Prettytom said:

Maybe you were, but your answer is misleading.

I’ve given you the figures that are nearest to the current situation.

You could have found them yourself, with slightly more thorough research.

“In 2021, 81.7% (48.7 million) of usual residents in England and Wales identified their ethnic group within the high-level "White" category, a decrease from 86.0% (48.2 million) in the 2011 Census.”

That’s straight from the link you gave me. Who’s misleading who?

3 minutes ago, Jim Hardie said:

“In 2021, 81.7% (48.7 million) of usual residents in England and Wales identified their ethnic group within the high-level "White" category, a decrease from 86.0% (48.2 million) in the 2011 Census.”

That’s straight from the link you gave me. Who’s misleading who?

You are the one relying on data that is over a decade out of date. I gave you the more recent data.

So, on reflection, I’d have to go for … you.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Prettytom said:

You are the one relying on data that is over a decade out of date. I gave you the more recent data.

So, on reflection, I’d have to go for … you.

But you don’t give recent data quoted in the post I was replying to and that’s eight years out of date.

So my comparison isn’t as misleading as yours.

My point about disproportionality still stands.

Edited by Jim Hardie
  • Like 1