Smoking 'To Be Banned'

Rishi Sunak poised to ban some people buying cigarettes in bid to make UK smoke-free
The Prime Minister is considering following in the footsteps of New Zealand which is attempting to become "smoke free" by 2025, a Whitehall source has claimed.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1815797/rishi-sunak-smoking-ban

Pledge to end smoking in England by 2030

The government is pledging to end smoking in England by 2030 as part of a range of measures to tackle the causes of preventable ill health.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49079515

I have always hated smoking, so one would have thought I'd be delighted that "smoking is to be banned".

But far from it.

It's easy for people who do not smoke to say ban smoking, and these authoritarians probably think they're being virtuous. But in actual fact they're just being selfish.

This is supposed to be a free country, what are they going to ban next ? I'd have thought preventing people being over weight would make more of a positive difference to the nation's health, so how long before they introduce a ban on people being fat ? Or tax eating ? Except they are planning to do exactly that aren't they !

It's the modern way, regulating people's lives and banning stuff, get used to it because you'll be seeing even more of it over the coming years.

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1

A ban will just create a black market of a product that is much more dangerous to health than the ones people buy legally.

The government's answer to all the hard questions is to tax or ban it. Or should we say 'Take the easy route'

Do we ban riding bikes, driving cars, walking on uneven ground, eating the 'wrong' things? They can all cause injury or illness!

One of the main problems with the NHS is very poor money management (IMO). It was a while ago but there was an article I read where they pay £8 for a box of paracetamol that we could buy for a quid or so, another where they paid 15k for a carrier bag removing to fix a blocked drain. If they can't manage the basics, what hope is there for the big money spends. I have all the time and respect in the World for the front line workers in the NHS. They just seem to be the target for the people that 'really' fail it.

2 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

@Chekhov- that story is from 4 years ago!!

It's just been re-ignited in the last week or so. A lot of media reporters said the same thing. It was supposed to have happened years ago, when it was first talked about. Why bring it up again now, when you (the government) did nothing when the first bright spark had the idea.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Pledge to end smoking in England by 2030

The government is pledging to end smoking in England by 2030 as part of a range of measures to tackle the causes of preventable ill health.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-49079515

I have always hated smoking, so one would have thought I'd be delighted that "smoking is to be banned".

But far from it.

It's easy for people who do not smoke to say ban smoking, and these authoritarians probably think they're being virtuous. But in actual fact they're just being selfish.

This is supposed to be a free country, what are they going to ban next ? I'd have thought preventing people being over weight would make more of a positive difference to the nation's health, so how long before they introduce a ban on people being fat ? Or tax eating ? Except they are planning to do exactly that aren't they !

As I've said many times before

Governments have weaponised health and Climate change so they can do whatever they like and to add more taxes 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, zach said:

It's just been re-ignited in the last week or so. A lot of media reporters said the same thing. It was supposed to have happened years ago, when it was first talked about. Why bring it up again now, when you (the government) did nothing when the first bright spark had the idea.

Fair enough - I have very little time for 'the news' these days, but if it has just been re-ignited, surely a more recent report would be more helpful?

42 minutes ago, cressida said:

The Government may be trying to relieve the pressure on the NHS as it's they who have to cope with it.   The burden financially  once lessened,  would make a tremendous difference to the Treasury.

Smokers die younger and therefore claim less state pension.

Smokers pay loads of tax (for the NHS) on the actual ciggies themselves.

If the government are serious about reducing the burden on the NHS  the biggest factor is obesity and the resultant Type 2 diabetes, not smoking. But, far from banning fatness they are on their way to making fatness a protected characteristic. You can't even call an overweight person fat any more !

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

Fair enough - I have very little time for 'the news' these days, but if it has just been re-ignited, surely a more recent report would be more helpful?

In a way you answered your own question. Yes, an up to date article would help. But with the junk we get on the news, it would only be a repeat of a 4 year old story.

It might be me, but the news is a bit like live TV...you get a repeat, of a repeat!

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

Done.

12 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

As I've said many times before

Governments have weaponised health and Climate change so they can do whatever they like and to add more taxes 

It's not just more taxes Jack, it's more restrictions and bans.

Like I have been saying for years, eventually everything will be banned unless it is specifically allowed, and that includes nookie without written consent......

The world is dividing, and not so much on a  simple left right basis, but Authoritarians v Libertarians.

Edited by Chekhov