Smoking 'To Be Banned'

I didn’t find the PM’s speeches very inspiring for the future of the UK.

I don’t smoke, not sure what to think about the cigarette ban, as one journalist said banning cigarettes is one more move towards the UK becoming a nanny state. 

If this smoking legislation goes ahead I can see tobacco plants being grown in greenhouses.

Edited by hauxwell
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Prettytom said:

Your position on this is ridiculous, by the way.  Banning smoking is a fantastic idea. It will enhance the life chances of millions of people, most of whom have not yet begun to smoke.

If you really do believe in proportionality, go and look at the stats regarding smoking and pulmonary/cardiovascular illness. Then extrapolate that to take account of the next generation of potential smokers.

Oh, just because you are fascinated by me, I smoked heavily for 30 years. Giving up was one of the best things I ever did.

>>Banning smoking is a fantastic idea<<

You think it is because you are a proven authoritarian. 

As I have already mentioned there is not one ban / regulation / restriction that has ever been discussed on this forum that you do not agree with.

Your position is that people should be told what to do "for their and society's good", and their personal freedoms are of little concern to you. 

You are at least consistent about it. Apart from speeding of course, but only because you want to argue with me, like any true troll.

>>Oh, just because you are fascinated by me<<

I can assure you I am not "fascinated" by you. I am frightened of authoritarians like you as you and your ilk are restricting my life more and more every year.

>>I smoked heavily for 30 years. Giving up was one of the best things I ever did.<<

As I said, you are nota smoker.

Thanks for confirming I am right

>>If you really do believe in proportionality, go and look at the stats regarding smoking and pulmonary/cardiovascular illness. Then extrapolate that to take account of the next generation of potential smokers.<<

Hardly any kids smoke fags these days anyway. But, if people want to smoke that is their right in a free country.

What would you do about the over weight BTW ? That's a FAR bigger problem for society and the NHS.

Edited by Chekhov

16 hours ago, Delayed said:

So a proposed smoking ban is the new thing we're crying about today then is it? 

But surprisingly it's a non smoker crying about it. 

You don't get it do you ?

It's not just about the smoking ban, it's about the whole authoritarian culture which is pervading modern society.

It makes me happy I'll be dead in 30 years or so, because I assure you it will keep getting worse, for ever. I feel so sorry for my lad who will have to live in such a society.

8 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Yes everyone gets it by now. You only have 1 point to make and make it in nearly every thread you contribute to or start. 

8 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

It's not just about the smoking ban, it's about the whole authoritarian culture which is pervading modern society.

It makes me happy I'll be dead in 30 years or so, because I assure you it will keep getting worse, for ever. I feel so sorry for my lad who will have to live in such a society.

It's not even in place and knowing Rishi it will get scrapped if he clings onto th PM role. 

14 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

like being forced to wear seatbelts in cars and helmets on motorbikes

sugartax, alcohol tax

1 hour ago, hauxwell said:

I don’t smoke, not sure what to think about the cigarette ban, as one journalist said banning cigarettes is one more move towards the UK becoming a nanny state. 

If this smoking legislation goes ahead I can see tobacco plants being grown in greenhouses.

I agree.   I would say though,  we are moving to a Nazi nanny state.

Also as a non smoker.

51 minutes ago, melthebell said:

like being forced to wear seatbelts in cars and helmets on motorbikes

sugartax, alcohol tax

I could understand it better if they,  at least,   did it properly.    Why no seatbelts on buses or trains ?

We must wear them in cars whilst on buses and trains,  you are not only are excused wearing seat belts,  but it's OK to stand up too.

Just doesn't make sense   as government edicts usually don't.

2 hours ago, Chekhov said:

>>Banning smoking is a fantastic idea<<

You think it is because you are a proven authoritarian. 

As I have already mentioned there is not one ban / regulation / restriction that has ever been discussed on this forum that you do not agree with.

Your position is that people should be told what to do "for their and society's good", and their personal freedoms are of little concern to you. 

You are at least consistent about it. Apart from speeding of course, but only because you want to argue with me, like any true troll.

>>Oh, just because you are fascinated by me<<

I can assure you I am not "fascinated" by you. I am frightened of authoritarians like you as you and your ilk are restricting my life more and more every year.

>>I smoked heavily for 30 years. Giving up was one of the best things I ever did.<<

As I said, you are nota smoker.

Thanks for confirming I am right

>>If you really do believe in proportionality, go and look at the stats regarding smoking and pulmonary/cardiovascular illness. Then extrapolate that to take account of the next generation of potential smokers.<<

Hardly any kids smoke fags these days anyway. But, if people want to smoke that is their right in a free country.

What would you do about the over weight BTW ? That's a FAR bigger problem for society and the NHS.

Why is heroin illegal?

Try to explain without telling me what you think it is that I think. Your continual, incorrect representations of my opinions,  are both dishonest and tiresome.

Edited by Prettytom

3 hours ago, hauxwell said:

Or lofts :thumbsup: