Smoking 'To Be Banned'

4 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

You go to any smoking area and it's disgusting

I know smokers who won't smoke in their own house....they go out to the garden

If it's that rank then stop smoking 

That's all well and good but go to any lavatory thats just been used, and that is also disgusting. It would be pretty strange if you only went in the garden to exfoliate your bowel, thus preventing the putrid aroma that you are emitting. 

If bowel movements are that rank then stop pooping x

On the subject of "public health" interventions it has already been mentioned that obesity causes more bad health outcomes than smoking, and, puts far more pressure on the NHS - mainly type 2 diabetes - than smoking and even than Covid ever did (or could have done).

But far from society putting pressure on the overweight to slim down, this is what is happening :

I regret my jokes says Richard Curtis [Writer of Four weddings and  a Funeral, and Love Actually]

He said of his fat jokes : "I remember how shocked I was five years ago when Scarlett [his daughter] said to me 'you can never use the word 'fat' again'. Wow, you were right. In my generation calling someone chubby [was funny] - in Love Actually there were jokes about that. Those jokes are no longer funny.

(The Times 16 Oct 23)

I have said before that sooner or later "fatness" will be a "protected characteristic", and I am only half joking.

This is a mad mad mad mad world where the risk of upsetting anyone is the paramount aim of society.

We really do live in an inconsistent, not to say hypocritical (and pathetic), world.

• 1 month later...

Prior to my lockdown induced conversion to the Libertarian cause I, as a rabid non smoker, never thought I would ever say this, but I am delighted to report that New Zealand are abandoning their introduction of a smoking ban :

New Zealand's new government says it plans to scrap the nation's world-leading smoking ban to fund tax cuts.

The legislation, introduced under the previous Jacinda Ardern-led government, would have banned cigarette sales next year to anyone born after 2008.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-67540190

Jacinda Ardern is a fully paid up member of the authoritarian "we know what's right for you" (even if you don't want it) brigade, so I was also delighted she resigned before she was kicked out. Back in Dec 21 "Saint Jacinda" was coming out with all this "we aren't going to leave any New Zealanders behind" virtue signalling ballcox whilst knowing full well that the third world really needed those vaccines far more than young New Zealanders (particularly those who didn't even want them ! ). She then doubled her hypocrisy by forcing through Vaccine passports and even admitting it would lead to a two tier society.

Hypocritical ***.

Good riddance.

Edited by Chekhov

On 11/10/2023 at 14:42, Jack Grey said:

You go to any smoking area and it's disgusting

I know smokers who won't smoke in their own house....they go out to the garden

If it's that rank then stop smoking 

Why should they stop smoking because you don't like it and you don't even know them.   Maybe they should tell you to stop drinking.

That's a bloke who only yesterday was complaining about having to follow rules.

So the only time when you should follow rules is when they are Grey's rules ?

13 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Why should they stop smoking because you don't like it and you don't even know them.   Maybe they should tell you to stop drinking.

That's a bloke who only yesterday was complaining about having to follow rules.

So the only time when you should follow rules is when they are Grey's rules ?

To be fair to JC I don't think he's actually telling them to stop smoking.

He's just saying he thinks it's a disgusting habit, and I agree with him. But that's no reason to ban it.

• 1 month later...

Well well well, I agree with Liz Truss (and I have never smoked) :

Former prime minister Liz Truss has urged her successor in No 10 Downing Street to reverse the government’s policy on banning smoking, labelling the initiative “profoundly unconservative”.

The government’s smoking bill will be debated in the House of Commons next month, with the prime minister likely to face further criticism from Conservative colleagues.

The bill is likely to be opposed by several “anti-nanny state” Conservatives, including Truss.

https://www.politics.co.uk/news/2024/01/29/liz-truss-calls-on-pm-to-reverse-decision-over-profoundly-unconservative-smoking-ban/

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Well well well, I agree with Liz Truss (and I have never smoked) :

Former prime minister Liz Truss has urged her successor in No 10 Downing Street to reverse the government’s policy on banning smoking, labelling the initiative “profoundly unconservative”.

The government’s smoking bill will be debated in the House of Commons next month, with the prime minister likely to face further criticism from Conservative colleagues.

The bill is likely to be opposed by several “anti-nanny state” Conservatives, including Truss.

https://www.politics.co.uk/news/2024/01/29/liz-truss-calls-on-pm-to-reverse-decision-over-profoundly-unconservative-smoking-ban/

Well there's a surprise!

In a discussion last week about bullying, and specifically the case of a school girl bullied to death. I asked if there is or should be a law to so that people who do this, and there are at most fatal consequences  for the victim, they too should face the full weight of the law you said:

"I very much think there should not.

There are too many laws, bans, regulations etc etc as it is."

The Law And Bullying - A Specific Question. - Page 3 - General Discussions - Sheffield Forum

This kind of extreme Libertarianism is all very well, but you get to the point where you think why bother having any laws at all? Why not allow the survival of the richest, most powerful, and strongest. Given her views found expression in her so called 'mini budget' and she managed to crash the economy, you'd have thought she might choose a"period of silence".

she's profoundly unaware of herself, and others - which I suppose is at least consistent with her libertarianism.

What next: asking  is it any business of the nanny state which side of the road people choose to drive on?

I think Liz Truss has a very simplistic view of the world, that is wholly informed by her ideology and nothing else. 

Edited by Mister M

2 hours ago, Mister M said:

Well there's a surprise!

In a discussion last week about bullying, and specifically the case of a school girl bullied to death. I asked if there is or should be a law to so that people who do this, and there are at most fatal consequences  for the victim, they too should face the full weight of the law you said:

"I very much think there should not.

There are too many laws, bans, regulations etc etc as it is."

The Law And Bullying - A Specific Question. - Page 3 - General Discussions - Sheffield Forum

This kind of extreme Libertarianism is all very well, but you get to the point where you think why bother having any laws at all? Why not allow the survival of the richest, most powerful, and strongest. Given her views found expression in her so called 'mini budget' and she managed to crash the economy, you'd have thought she might choose a"period of silence".

she's profoundly unaware of herself, and others - which I suppose is at least consistent with her libertarianism.

What next: asking  is it any business of the nanny state which side of the road people choose to drive on?

I think Liz Truss has a very simplistic view of the world, that is wholly informed by her ideology and nothing else. 

What the hell has that lot got to do with people being nannied, told what is good for them, and ultimately being banned from doing stuff they have been free to undertake for 100s of years  ?

2 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

What the hell has that lot got to do with people being nannied, told what is good for them, and ultimately being banned from doing stuff they have been free to undertake for 100s of years  ?

Errrm laws? Like he said